One Day in December by Josie Silver

One Day in December

by Josie Silver

Two people. Ten chances. One unforgettable love story. Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn't exist anywhere but the movies. But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly is the one. Their eyes meet, there's a moment of pure magic ... and then her bus drives away. Certain they're fated to find each other again, Laurie spends a year scanning every bus stop and cafe in London for him. But she doesn't find him, not when it matters anyway. Instead they "reunite" at a Christmas party, when her best friend Sarah giddily introduces her new boyfriend to Laurie. It's Jack, the man from the bus. It would be. What follows for Laurie, Sarah and Jack is ten years of friendship, heartbreak, missed opportunities, roads not taken, and destinies reconsidered. One Day in December is a joyous, heartwarming and immensely moving love story to escape into and a reminder that fate takes inexplicable turns along the route to happiness.… (more)
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (dawnlovesbooks)
    dawnlovesbooks: very similar plot
    One Day by David Nicholls (dawnlovesbooks)
    dawnlovesbooks: both books include two friends, a lifetime, a romance

This is a good Christmasy story if you’re looking for something more satisfying than 95% of the Hallmark crap out there. ( )
  AngelClaw | Dec 4, 2019 |
Loved it. A love story with a great ending! ( )
  LASMIT | Nov 30, 2019 |
Laurie is sitting on a bus “one day in December” when her eyes meet with a young man’s sitting on a bench at the bus stop and it was, “as if an invisible fork of lightning had inexplicably joined us together.” She fell “hopelessly in love with a stranger.” She spends a lot of time fantasizing about him and searching for him and then one day he walks into her home and is introduced as her best friend’s boyfriend. “Her best friend found her soulmate first and fell in love with him.”
This book is about Laurie, her best friend Sarah and that boy at the bus stop, Jack. I thought it was going to be cliché and cheesy, but I actually ended up really enjoying it. It reminds me of a mix between “Something Borrowed” by Emily Giffin and “One Day” by David Nichols. I laughed and cried and couldn’t get to the end fast enough and I mean that in a good way. ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Nov 20, 2019 |
3.0

Entertaining, a quick read, well paced and checked full of all the typical, and annoying romantic book pitfalls. Those things that may make you swoon a little when you are in your twenties, but annoy you more when you...cough... mature.

Examples:

1. Glossing over when a guys a dick.
2. Celebrating shitty friendships.
3. Changing the nice guys character to service the plot.
4. Hanging your future on a hunch based on, what adds up to la simple infatuation dubbed love at first sight.

Still, it is very British Romance, and I used to adore those once. It made me feel nostalgic for a time when I didn't know any better. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
“You tread lightly through life, but you leave deep footprints that are hard for other people to fill.”

One Day in December was both frustrating and fantastic! My heart was in a constant state of brokenness, because I felt bad for every single character. Jack, Laurie, Sarah, and even Oscar. They all wanted to find love and be loved, but it's like the universe was conspiring against them. We see missed opportunities and infuriating decisions, but also happiness and genuine friendships.

I adored the relationship between Laurie and Sarah. I love that they created their own sandwich, and would only make one when they were together (even though the ingredients were super gross). I wish I had a friendship that solid and lasting. I hated the wedge that Jack inevitably caused in their relationship, because his presence was a constant reminder of what Laurie had lost. She couldn't act on her feelings, because she didn't want to hurt Sarah, but her heart was stuck on her best friend's boyfriend. Sarah and Jack seemed to genuinely care for each other, which only made things more complicated.

“We are a triangle, but our sides have kept changing length. Nothing has ever quite been equal. Perhaps it’s time to learn how to stand on our own, rather than lean on each other.”

I enjoyed seeing the three of them together, because they really did have a great group dynamic. They all got along so well, and I hated that Sarah found Jack before Laurie did. However, I do think that both Laurie and Jack grew a lot during the ten years of their friendship, and maybe had experiences they wouldn't have had otherwise. Everything with Laurie and Oscar was lovely, until it wasn't. It's impossible to know if things would have been different had Jack gotten on that bus, but we do know their futures were irrevocably changed that night.

Both Jack and Laurie made mistakes. They hurt each other, their friends, and themselves. It was a complicated series of events that felt completely realistic, even if it was heartbreaking to read about. I struggled with my emotions for the better part of the book, torn between what I wanted, and what was best for the characters. I felt conflicted and worried about all of their individual futures, and wanted everyone's story to have a happy ending.

One Day in December really captured what it means to be a friend, and how difficult it can be to maintain a lasting relationship. Laurie and Sarah were like sisters, and it showed in their actions and conversations. Jack was brotherly, friendly, and a love interest all at once, and sometimes to the same person. It sounds bananas, I know, but it really worked for this story. Every character had their individual ups and downs, and I was really invested in each of their lives.

“But what else was I supposed to say? That I felt as if she’d just kissed fucking stardust into my mouth.”

This book will likely make you cry, and probably more than once. There were so many wonderful moments, but there were also really authentic conflicts that left me feeling empty and at a loss for words. I struggled with these characters, cried with them, and laughed when everything was fun and light. I enjoyed the time skips, and seeing how the characters and their relationships developed over time. At lot can happen in ten years, and I think the author did a brilliant job of covering a lot of ground without making the book feel too long. Amazing story (and the audio was perfect)!

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on June 22, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
For James, Ed, and Alex with love.
It's a wonder everyone who uses public transportation in winter doesn't keel over and die of germ overload.
"I find that lies encumber me."
We are a triangle, but our sides have kept changing length. Nothing has ever quite been equal. Perhaps it's time to learn how to stand on our own, rather than lean on each other.
That's the thing about flowers, isn't it? They're lush and extravagant and demand your attention, and you think they're the most exquisite thing, but then in the shortest time they're not very lovely at all. They wilt and they turn the water brown, and soon you can't hold on to them any longer.
...how much information constitutes the truth, how much omission constitutes lying.
There's something about living in a different place that allows you to be whoever you want to be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,165,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible