My Sister, the Serial Killer

by Oyinkan Braithwaite

"Satire meets slasher in this short, darkly funny hand grenade of a novel about a Nigerian woman whose younger sister has a very inconvenient habit of killing her boyfriends. "Femi makes three, you know. Three and they label you a serial killer." Korede is bitter. How could she not be? Her sister, Ayoola, is many things: the favorite child, the beautiful one, possibly sociopathic. And now Ayoola's third boyfriend in a row is dead. Korede's practicality is the sisters' saving grace. She knows the best solutions for cleaning blood, the trunk of her car is big enough for a body, and she keeps Ayoola from posting pictures of her dinner to Instagram when she should be mourning her "missing" boyfriend. Not that she gets any credit. A kind, handsome doctor at the hospital where Korede works is the bright spot in her life. She dreams of the day when he will realize they're perfect for each other. But one day Ayoola shows up to the hospital uninvited and he takes notice. When he asks Korede for Ayoola's phone number, she must reckon with what her sister has become and what she will do about it. Sharp as nails and full of deadpan wit, Oyinkan Braithwaite has written a deliciously deadly debut that's as fun as it is frightening"-- "Slasher meets satire, in this darkly comic novel set in Nigeria about a woman whose younger sister has a very inconvenient habit of killing her boyfriends"--… (more)
    Look What You Made Me Do by Elaine Murphy (Litrvixen)
    Litrvixen: Both are about sisters- where one of them is a serial killer.
    Blackbird: A Novel by Michael Fiegel (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Issues of loyalty come to the fore in both darkly humorous books starring complex sociopaths and the people who love them.

English (202)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (207)
This did not end as I thought it would!

Loved this book and Korede as the main character. I could really relate to the character, her loneliness and her need for order. I loved that Braithwaite did not go in the direction I thought she would go. Very different look at codependency. I can’t wait to read another book by this author. ( )
  bookburner451 | Nov 19, 2022 |
This is thin, predictable commercial fiction. I had anticipated the three main plot twists by page 30. I think that Braithwaite could have potential as a writer, but she should have kept this manuscript (and perhaps the next 2) in a drawer. Honestly, I'm deeply ashamed that it won the Tournament of Books. ( )
  JohnMatthewFox | Oct 17, 2022 |
3.75

I read this fast-paced, tension-filled book in one sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This satisfied my love of familial drama, the topic of cultural stagnation, as well as my need to consume anything that has to do with serial murder (I don't know what is wrong with me. Don't ask). Braithwaite was able to poke at these subjects deftly and it did leave me thinking. With that said, there was so much more that could have been unpacked here and maybe poked at a bit harder. I was left wanting more.

Jonez | Sep 23, 2022 |
3.75??? it was good it was just also........very frustrating ( )
  changgukah | Aug 22, 2022 |
My feelings toward this short book ran the gamut from an initial ambivalent response to the cover (silly, I know, but I found it confusing, without a lot of clues as to what to expect), to quick engagement once I started reading, then a bit of apprehension about where the plot might be headed, and ending with WOW!

No point in recapitulating the story line except to say that most of the plot summaries don't do the book justice, probably because the cultural setting (21st century superimposed on traditional Nigerian) creates a backdrop that can't readily be communicated, but which influences everything that happens.

And let's just say that the ending, while not exactly telegraphed in advance, is pretty much inevitable. And "right".
  BarbKBooks | Aug 15, 2022 |
Without aiming for a grand narrative or stuffing the prose with political history as Nigerian novelists are often tempted, Braithwaite entertains. Braithwaite does provide a candid take on under-discussed social issues but in place of grand commentary about the government and public life, she looks inward and forces a reflection on the problems of the family, and how families can distort people’s lives.

It’s strikingly original. Braithwaite sets the Offspring-like inner workings of the hospital, and an almost Mills & Boon style – sisters squabbling over the central love interest, the too-good-to-be-true Dr Tade – against a ruthless examination of a culture where Korede’s father beats his daughters and wife as he tries to sell Ayoola off to a local chief, who points out the 14-year-old girls he wants to marry with his bejewelled cane. At its heart is the idea of beauty and how far it can take you, how quickly it morphs into ugliness.

In one respect, it’s classic noir: actions have consequences that are inevitable – but the ending is worlds away from that bleak style, and the pitch-black humour, coupled with the sweltering heat of Lagos, gives a very different feel.

With a deadly aim, Braithwaite lobs jokes, japes and screwball comedy at the reader. Only after you turn the last page do you realize that, as with many brilliant comic writers before her, laughter for Braithwaite is as good for covering up pain as bleach is for masking the smell of blood.

Braithwaite leaves the reader wondering which of these two sisters is more damaged: the killer, or the killer’s faithful rescuer.

Braithwaite, Oyinkanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dinçer, YaseminTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oduye, AdeperoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opia, WerucheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windsor, Michael J.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, whom I love very much:

Akin, Tokunbo, Obafunke, Siji, Ore
Ayoola summons me with these words -- Korede, I killed him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,205,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible