Dr. Jo: How Sara Josephine Baker Saved the…

Dr. Jo: How Sara Josephine Baker Saved the Lives of America's Children (edition 2018)

by Monica Kulling (Author)

Member:MKCagle
Title:Dr. Jo: How Sara Josephine Baker Saved the Lives of America's Children
Authors:Monica Kulling (Author)
Info:Tundra Books (2018), 32 pages
Rating:*****

Dr. Jo: How Sara Josephine Baker Saved the Lives of America's Children by Monica Kulling

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was unfamiliar with the life of Josephine Baker and this book was a delightful introduction that will engage young and older readers alike. The story was informative and did not shy away from the struggles faced by women in the medical field and poor immigrant families, but shared their stories in an inspiring and child-appropriate way. The illustrations were beautiful and added softness to a gritty subject.

I received this book through the Early Reviewers program. The opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  MKCagle | Jan 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sara Josephine Baker was a woman ahead of her time. This book does an excellent job telling the story of her life in a way that young children can understand.
Both my 4- and 6-year-olds enjoyed the story and illustrations. They learned that good health has a lot to do with access to good food and proper medical information. How lucky we are to live in an era that understands germs yet we should remember that we don't yet know everything about science.
Reading this book provided me the opportunity to talk to my children about the 19th century and how limited women's choices were. I hope my daughter will be inspired to work hard and help others like Dr. Jo. ( )
  TheOaksPCW | Dec 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I absolutely love children's biographic picture books. They provide a wide open door to introduce the young children to real people at real places doing real and fabulous things in the World. This book by Monica Kulling which is beautifully illustrated by Julianna Swaney is exceptional in the telling of Dr. Jo's story.

The text is for children but doesn't "talk down" to them. It flows in beautiful composition rendering the process of Dr. Jo's life from childhood to becoming America's first pediatrician. It tells of her compassion, her professionality, her insight into the needs of people, and her accomplishments.

Dr. Jo was a strong woman at a time when women did not readily pursue medical professions nor were they much accepted by the populace. This children's biography will teach appreciation and respect for Dr. Jo's accomplishments and for the medical and health profession.

I highly recommend this book. Homes that provide libraries for their families, school libraries, public libraries all need to have copies.

I received a copy through the Librarything.com Early Readers program. ( )
  VeraGodley | Dec 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a short biographical book about the life if Sara Josephine Baker and her work as a pediatrician. It is well designed and informative. It keeps the attention of the reader. It also accurately portrays the plight of early immigrants to American cities and the difficulties faced by the poor in the late 1800’s.
The book is beautifully illustrated. It would make a great book for middle to late elementary classes.
  stined | Nov 27, 2018 |
Known as something of a tomboy when she was young, Sara Josephine Baker wasn't your everyday late-nineteenth-century American girl. Inspired by a childhood encounter with two doctors (a father and son), and spurred on by the death of both her brother and her father from typhoid fever, after their town's drinking water was poisoned by raw sewage, Baker decided to become a doctor herself - something quite unusual for the women of her day. Studying at the medical school founded by Elizabeth Blackwell (the first woman in the USA to receive a medical degree), Baker graduated in 1898. In 1901 she became a health inspector in New York City, assigned to the rough immigrant neighborhood known as Hell's Kitchen. Here she found that the impoverished conditions were particularly rough on her most vulnerable patients: infants and young children. Always one to rise to the occasion, "Dr. Jo" eventually came up with some solutions to the problems she observed, whether it was the heatstroke caused by overly tight "swaddling" clothes (she invented her own infant wear!) to the incorrect dosages often given of silver nitrate for babies' eyes (she created a storage system made of beeswax!). By the time she retired, this amazing doctor had saved over 90,000 young children with her inventions and innovations...

I had never heard of this amazing medical pioneer before picking up Monica Kulling's Dr. Jo: How Sara Josephine Baker Saved the Lives of America's Children, but am very glad to have had that flaw in my education remedied! Dr. Jo was certainly an admirable character, and her work was important. As someone with a serious medical condition myself, I am grateful for the knowledge and technology that has helped to keep me alive, and full of admiration for the people whose discoveries helped to advance that knowledge. It's astonishing to think (as Wikipedia claims) that the infant mortality rate in the United States during WWI was higher than that of the soldiers serving on the front lines. Baker's understanding that infant mortality (and illness in general) was tied to poverty and poor hygiene conditions, is something that seems self evident to us now, but our better knowledge today owes something to her work, and to the work of many others like her. I found Monica Kulling's narrative here engaging, and appreciated the artwork by Julianna Swaney, done in watercolor, gouache and colored pencil. An author's afterword gives more information about Baker, and provides a (very) brief list of sources and further reading material. Recommended to all young would-be doctors, and to anyone curious about the role of women in medicine, or the improvement of child health over time. Also recommended to anyone looking for picture-books set in New York City in the early twentieth century. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Nov 9, 2018 |

Monica Kullingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Swaney, JuliannaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Sara Josephine Baker was a strong girl who loved adventure. Growing up in New York in the late 1800s was not easy. When she lost her brother and father to typhoid fever, she became determined to pursue her dream of becoming a doctor. In Jo's day, medical schools were closed to women, but times were changing, and Jo was at the forefront.

When she graduated in 1898, Dr. Jo still faced prejudice against women in her field. Not many people were willing to be seen by a female doctor, and Dr. Jo's waiting room remained mostly empty. She accepted a job in public health and was sent to Hell's Kitchen, one of New York's poorest neighborhoods where many immigrants lived. There, she was able to treat the most vulnerable patients: babies and children. She realized that the best treatment was to help babies get a stronger start in life. Babies need fresh air, clean and safe environments, and proper food. Dr. Jo's successes, fueled by her determination, compassion and ingenuity, made her famous across the nation for saving the lives of 90,000 inner city infants and children.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Monica Kulling's book Dr. Jo: How Sara Josephine Baker Saved the Lives of America's Children is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,725,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible