dismiss

House of Gold (2018)

by Natasha Solomons

"From the New York Times bestselling author of The House at Tyneford, an epic family saga about a headstrong Austrian heiress who will be forced to choose between the family she's made and the family that made her at the outbreak of World War I. Vienna, 1911. Twenty-one-year-old Greta Goldbaum has always hungered after what's forbidden: secret university lectures, unseemly trumpet lessons, and most of all, the freedom to choose her life's path. The Goldbaum family has different expectations. United across Europe by unsurpassed wealth and power, Goldbaum men are bankers, while Goldbaum women marry Goldbaum men to produce Goldbaum children. Greta will do her part. So Greta moves to England to wed Albert, a distant cousin. The marriage is not a success. Yet, when Albert's mother gives Greta a garden, things at Temple Court begin to change. First Greta falls in love with her garden, then with England, and finally with her husband. But when World War I sends both Albert and Greta's beloved brother, Otto, to the front lines--one to fight for the Allies, one to fight for the Central Powers--the House of Gold is left vulnerable as never before, and Greta must choose: the family she's created or the one she was forced to leave behind. Set against a nuanced portrait of World War I, this is a sweeping family saga rich in historical atmosphere and heartbreakingly human characters. House of Gold is Natasha Solomons's most dazzling and moving novel yet"--"From the New York Times bestselling author of The House at Tyneford, an epic family saga about a headstrong Austrian heiress who will be forced to choose between the family she's made and the family that made her at the outbreak of World War I"--… (more)

House of Gold by Natasha Solomons is the story of the European, Jewish Goldbaum family in the years leading to and during World War I. The historical context makes both the location and the faith of the family integral to the story. The history in the book is interesting because I have read much more about World War II than the onset of World War I. The story in this book unfortunately gets muddled because there are so many subplots. It is sometimes challenging to know where the main story lies.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2019/02/house-of-gold.html

Reviewed for Penguin First to Read program. ( )
  njmom3 | Feb 28, 2019 |
A vast novel taking place in Europe in the early twentieth century. The focus is on an arranged marriage between two branches of the Goldbaum banking family. The Austrian branch sends a young lady (Greta) to England to wed her distant cousin (Albert). The marriage bonds the two branches to their mutual benefit. The primary backdrop here is the period just before and during WW1 and it's affect on the two branches. The fact that they are Jewish plays into the plot. I think that anyone who enjoys historical fiction will like this one. ( )
  muddyboy | Feb 20, 2019 |
Greta and Otto Goldbaum grow up as the two children of the House of Gold in Vienna. Greta marries Albert (a Goldbaum distant cousin from Britain) and becomes adept at gardening to fend off loneliness in Britain. Otto pursues astronomy before he has to learn the banking business as the heir to Vienna's House of Gold. The stories center around Greta and Otto, their lives as wealthy Jews, and the effect that World War I had on them and the other houses of gold throughout Europe. This was a very good historical fiction read although I do not know enough about finance during WWI to comment on the accuracy of this book. ( )
  baughga | Jan 29, 2019 |
This novel follows the lives of the Goldbaum family, a family of Jewish bankers that spread their influence across Europe in the years before World War I. Immensely wealthy, the family members still have their struggles - Greta and Albert with their arranged marriage, Henri with the mistress he wants to marry, Otto is unable to pursue his love of astronomy. They all find themselves hopelessly unprepared for war to break out and the consequences of war for their family and business. Overall, this was a good read and I would highly recommend it for historical fiction fans. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 29, 2018 |
I received this book as an early release. It was so good. The characters are so detailed and richly described. The story is of a old European family rich in history and money, but it begins to change as war come and modernization. Everything changes. Go get this read it’s great. ( )
  Bethgarvinloflin1 | Dec 18, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible