Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor (Target…
Member:dioxynucleic
Title:Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor (Target Collection)
Authors:Steven Moffat (Author)
Info:BBC Books (2018), 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Science Fiction, TV Tie-In

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor by Steven Moffat

This is the novelization of the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who, broadcast on 23 November 2013. The Tenth and Eleventh Doctors come face-to-face with their past in the form of the War Doctor, the one who fought the Time War, the one whose final decision may threaten the entire universe. Along the way, there are Elizabethan Zygon shenanigans, modern-day alien invasions, and heaping helpings of humour and personality conflicts by having more than one of the Doctor in the same room.

I had so much fun reading this and tore through it in about an hour. Having seen the episode, but many years ago, I found all the memories come flooding back. The story is structured in an ingenious way and I’m sure Steven had tremendous fun putting it together. There was a great deal of hooting with laughter at the page, yelling “Whaaaat” and tearing up at the line about “Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to fuel the flame.” So basically just like watching the episode, except different.

The only reason this isn't five stars is there were some goofy proofreading errors, such as extra or missing words.

I borrowed this from the library, because I think it important to encourage my library to buy more Doctor Who novels, but I’m definitely going to have to get my own copy of this one. Highly recommended. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 19, 2019 |
This is a novelization of the Doctor Who episode "The Day of the Doctor" written by Steven Moffat, who, of course, also did the original script. And a wonderful job he's done of it! This version adds in a few new scenes, as well as a lot of character insights, and it takes us fairly deep into an exploration of the Doctor, including the Doctor at the most pivotal moment of his life. It's also got lots of timey-wimeyness (of course!) and cheeky in-jokes and complex layers of meta-ness. Some of that works better than others for me, but overall I enjoyed it greatly, in the way that I enjoy so much of Moffat's work: it may be a bit of a mess, but it's a glorious, entertaining mess. I'll also add that when I first saw this particular episode, I had somewhat mixed feelings about the way it's resolved, but whether it's due more to the passage of time since then or to the way Moffat presents it here, I've found that it now actually works quite well for me.

Definitely recommended for Who fans, or at least for those who liked Moffat's approach to the show. (Which I did. I really, really did.) Heck, I sort of expected this to be a really quick, easy read, much like the Who novelizations of yesteryear, most of which I could read in one short sitting, but it ended up taking me much longer than I expected to finish it, just because I found myself wanting to savor it and to get as much as I could out of every sentence. ( )
  bragan | Sep 29, 2018 |
Great fun

Brings back memories of watching The Day of the Doctor, but with plenty of surprises and fresh laugh-out-loud moments. Brilliantly written by the inimitable Steven Moffat. One to treasure. ( )
  Kindleifier | Aug 21, 2018 |

Of course, I really enjoyed the 2013 50th anniversary special, which in retrospect we now see as a last salute to the Tennant era from almost the end of the Smith era. And I am glad to report that this is by far the best of the four new Doctor Who novels published last month. Moffat has veered further from the script than any of the other writers; the chapters are told by alternating narrators, in non-sequential numbers, interspersed with reports from other characters (Chapter Nine, significantly, is missing); the basics of the storyline (starting with the Eighth Doctor's regeneration, and ending with the Curator) remain the same, but the transmission to the printed page has been done in a very different way. And there are some lovely shout-outs to odd bits of continuity - Peter Cushing's Doctor is canonicalised; there is a desperate attempt to explain the black and white era. In general, it's just good fun, and it feels like the process of writing the book was much more enjoyable for the author than was notoriously the case with the original script. ( )
  nwhyte | May 25, 2018 |
In Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor, Steven Moffat adapts his story for the 50th Anniversary Special to the novel format in the style of classic Target novelizations of Doctor Who episodes. Using the prose format, Moffat writes a story that revels in the out-of-sequence series of events as the Doctor experienced them. Chapters are deliberately numbered out of order based on which Doctor they describe and when in his own narrative they occurred, though the story still follows the same internal order as the televised episode. Also included are segments between the chapters from the "author" of this account, who uses psychic paper to guide the reader through the events. That author's identity plays a key role to the organization of this retelling. Based on the seemingly interactive nature of the novel, Moffat works in a metatextual reference to the Silence (pg. 133) that's sure to delight.
Moffat uses the freedom of prose to include new asides and references to earlier stories. For example, when portraying the perspective of the newly-regenerated War Doctor and his perception of color, Moffat suggests that the reason the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton episodes appeared in black-and-white was that those incarnations were color blind (pg. 18). He also finds a way to explain how the Eleventh Doctor appeared to move past the events of the Time War that so plagued his Ninth and Tenth incarnations (pg. 129). In this novel, the Peter Cushing Dr. Who films were the result of information about the Doctor and the TARDIS getting out to the public and the Doctor so enjoyed the films that he befriended Peter Cushing, thereby explaining Cushing's posthumous film credits (pg. 144). Moffat also references the Fourth Doctor story, "Terror of the Zygons" (pg. 152), as a UNIT file. Interestingly, there's a sly reference to Jodie Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor as well. These asides, while fun, also come with some continuity errors. Moffat makes reference to the Doctor receiving a message from River Song before she headed to The Library, which would seem to contradict "The Husbands of River Song" (pg. 62) and he gives the Twelfth Doctor a much larger role at the end of the Time War (pg. 218).
The overall effect of this novel is fun and Moffat's adaptation offers a sufficiently different experience from the televised episode to keep the reader engaged. Further, the "Easter Eggs" and other references add a layer of depth that goes beyond what the show could do in a televised format. This novelization recalls all the fun of the original Target books and offers something new for those who didn't grow up with them. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Apr 23, 2018 |
In memory of Sir John Hurt, who saved the Day
FEED CONNECTING
This is the 2018 novelisation of the 2013 TV episode. Please do not combine with any recordings of the original television version.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,747,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible