The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl by…

The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl (edition 2018)

by Stacy McAnulty (Author)

A lightning strike made Lucy, twelve, a math genius but, after years of homeschooling, her grandmother enrolls her in middle school and she learns that life is more than numbers.
Member:mzonderm
Title:The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
Authors:Stacy McAnulty (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2018), 304 pages
Collections:Your library, one shelf at a time
Tags:fiction, math savant, OCD, friendship, middle grade, middle school, dogs

The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl by Stacy McAnulty

Raw, witty, and honest MG novel about being different yet finding your place. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 4, 2019 |
This is the kind of children’s middle grade novel I can immediately sink into. I did not want to put it down. It helped me realize how I was often reading a book a day in elementary school (middle grade reader) and jr. high (middle school) because I think I was as fast a reader at ages 9-13 as I am now, and kids’ books “read fast” compared to most books written for an adult audience.

This book gets a full 5 star rating from me and would definitely have been a favorite of mine when I was 9-12 years old. I love the main character/narrator’s voice. She’s so engaging and sympathetic. There are so many interesting and memorable characters in this story, the kids and the adults too, and a dog as well.

I was nearly in emotional tears during many parts of the story, especially toward the end of it.

It’s a mostly realistic story, though some happy circumstances do occur, but I was glad for them, and they kept this story appropriate you young and sensitive readers.

I enjoyed the 4 illustrated “math” pages at the end, explaining pi and the Fibonacci sequence. I was not a math fan at Lucy’s age, but I think this book would have gotten me a bit more interested in the subject.

Highly recommended for kids ages 9-12, especially girls, and especially kids who feel different in any kind of uncomfortable way, and for anyone who likes a good friendship story, and for all math & numbers fans. I think most readers who can enjoy middle grade novels will enjoy this one. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Dec 14, 2018 |
I was asked to read this by my 10 year old daughter, and I must say, I liked it! It's about a 7th grade girl named Lucy who was struck by lightning and empowered with super math skills, and a little OCD. She has a hard time fitting in, struggles to make friends, and often feels like a "freak". Hers is a well written tale, sure to appeal to anyone who has had similar feelings, especially in middle school!

I want to add, that I felt like this book has a bit in common with "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", sort of like a YA version. Mostly because of the numbers, math, and age of the character. So if you liked that, you should like this! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 24, 2018 |
Savants (Savant syndrome)--Fiction. Obsessive-compulsive disorder--Fiction. Middle schools--Fiction. Schools--Fiction. Interpersonal relations--Fiction.
  brudder | Aug 19, 2018 |
Lucy is dismayed when her grandma enrolls her in middle school since being homeschooled after getting struck by lightning. The lightning strike turned her into a math savant. She struggles with OCD and other social issues. She starts to make some friends at school, falls in love with a dog who has terminal cancer, and learns to embrace her differences. A touching read with likable, complex characters. ( )
  ewyatt | Jun 18, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible