In a House of Lies by Ian Rankin

In a House of Lies (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Ian Rankin (Author)

Series: Inspector Rebus (22)

IN A HOUSE OF LIES... Everyone has something to hide A missing private investigator is found, locked in a car hidden deep in the woods. Worse still - both for his family and the police - is that his body was in an area that had already been searched. Everyone has secrets Detective Inspector Siobhan Clarke is part of a new inquiry, combing through the mistakes of the original case. There were always suspicions over how the investigation was handled and now - after a decade without answers - it's time for the truth. Nobody is innocent Every officer involved must be questioned, and it seems everyone on the case has something to hide, and everything to lose. But there is one man who knows where the trail may lead - and that it could be the end of him: John Rebus.… (more)
Member:TBS1
Title:In a House of Lies
Authors:Ian Rankin (Author)
Info:Orion (2018), Edition: 1, 384 pages

Work Information

In a House of Lies by Ian Rankin (2018)

Recently added byJoeB1934, Arina8888, CapeSweetpea

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
A body is found in the trunk of a car that has been stashed in the woods. The body is of a man who disappeared 12 years previously. But the car wasn’t in that area when it was last searched. Where has the body been all this time, and what was going on with the original inquiry? Siobhan Clarke is reviewing that original inquiry, with backup from Malcolm Fox of Professional Standards. They’ll figure out whether there was any wrongdoing in the old days, and whether that wrongdoing involved Rebus. What I like best about this book is that Rebus, Clarke, and Fox are all working together to solve the case. They have a good team dynamic, and their conversations are fun to listen to. I may have read this just a touch too fast, because there was a lot to take in, but I enjoyed my visit to the Rebusverse as always. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Aug 29, 2020 |
Well I must be slightly addicted. My third Rankin/Rebus within the month! ( )
  malcrf | Jun 10, 2020 |
When the body of a man missing for years is discovered, it creates a huge problem for the police. At the time of the disappearance, there were accusations of malfeasance among the police investigating, not least because the man was gay and the father of his partner was on the force. Rebus, now retired and not really enjoying it, was part of that original investigation and wants to help. His gesture is dismissed immediately. However, Siobhan Clarke, once his subordinate, has another task for him. She'd been stalked by someone with a relationship to another crime and has reason to believe she is being set up by some crooked cops. She offers the stalker a trade-off - if he'll report the cops behind it, she'll get Rebus to investigate the crime. It takes little time for him to follow the evidence but, in the process of doing so, it takes him back to the case of the missing man as well as connecting with his old adversary, Cafferty.

In a House of Lies is the 22nd entry in the Rebus police procedural series by author Ian Rankin and it is a perfect example of why Rankin is one of my favourite writers. Like past books, this is more puzzle than action but, as always, the puzzle is intriguing and really pulls the reader into the story making it nigh impossible to put down. The story is well-written and intelligent with a compelling plot and complex but familiar characters to long-time readers. I also appreciated that the characters have matured and aged along with the series. I have recently read a few series that I had enjoyed in the past but hadn't visited for awhile and one of the things I found that kept me from fully engaging was the fact that the characters had remained pretty much the same age and maturity level although the world around them had moved forward even in the book.

A definite high recommendation from me.

Thanks to Netgalley & Little, Brown & Company for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  lostinalibrary | May 20, 2020 |
This was a police procedural that featured John Rebus, a former police detective. This is the 22nd book in the Rebus series, so I'm sure there is a lot of character development between Rebus and the other officers on the force. I think knowing that background would have made this book more enjoyable, but it was still a tightly woven mystery with a few plot twists and surprises thrown in. In this book, Rebus is astute, clever, and definitely knows his way around the criminal justice system, but he is officially retired from the force and struggles with COPD. Every flight of stairs seems to result in a description of him being out of breath. The main character doesn't have to be a physical specimen like Jack Reacher, but I found Rebus' frailty to be a little sad and depressing.

But still a very strong mystery! ( )
  jmoncton | Jan 26, 2020 |
Rebus' role is diminishing with Siobhan and DI Fox being more prominent. Rebus is "associated with the police" and actually solves the mystery - although from the audio book, it's a bit difficult to see how he did it.
Always interesting to read or hear a Rebus book. Due to increasing age and worsening COPD, it's unclear how many more there will be. Could this really be #22 with the beginning in 1987?? ( )
  fwbl | Jan 14, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

The car was found because Ginger was jealous of his friend Jimmy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,966,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible