dismiss

Vampires Like It Hot

by Lynsay Sands

Series: Argeneau Vampires (28)

New York Times bestselling author Lynsay Sands brings the heat in this new Argeneau novel, as one woman is rescued by an irresistible immortal ... "Vampires..." When Raffaele Notte pulls a barely dressed, disoriented woman from the ocean, the last thing he expects is for her to utter that word. The immortal has come to the island resort to help his cousin, but now, it seems, there are rogue vampires dining on unsuspecting tourists. And he soon realizes that not only is Jess a target, she's also the life mate he's been waiting for... Vampires are real. Jess would've never believed it until she saw them with her own eyes. She knows she has to get off the island, and her gallant rescuer has offered to help. There's something about Raffaele that's unlike any man she has ever met, and his touch sends pleasure through her that is beyond all imagining. But when Jess discovers who he really is, will she risk life as she knows it for a chance of forever by his side?… (more)

Jess is on holiday, attending a family destination wedding, and tasked with trying to keep her least favourite female cousin out of trouble. After taking a seaquarium trip, the cousin talks Jess into a 'shark feeding' expedition on board a pirate ship which turns out to be crewed by blood sucking vampirates. The greasy-haired, foul-mouthed Captain Vasco seems convinced that Jess is his 'life mate' and will stay with him forever. Escaping through a porthole, Jess swims in shark infested waters until being rescued by Raffaele, a scrummy man who also seems convinced that Jess is his 'life mate'. Learning that Raffaele is also an immortal turns her world upside down. Will Raffaele protect her until she can leave the country and escape Captain Vasco and his search for her, his liking of her jugs, groping in her river for trout, and desire to give her a good quiffing... ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Mar 9, 2019 |
Enjoyable as usual, but don't need the nanobot explanation. ( )
  bgknighton | Nov 5, 2018 |
Somehow, this was my first read from this series, but now that I've gotten a taste it won't be my last!

This series offers a slightly different take on the usual world of vampires (which I assume won't be at all new to you if you've read the other books--no worries, it doesn't take up a ton of page time here, getting explained to Jess briefly in the last 10% or so)...in fact, most of the ones we meet here don't even want to be called by that label. It turns out that Jess is a possible "life mate" to two immortals (I really liked this, btw--it makes the whole "destined to be together" a bit more palatable when you're not just stuck with a single person in the whole wide world who you may or may not ever find. Humans can find more than one spouse to love; why not immortals?) and she somehow meets both of them while out of town at a destination wedding. Which will she choose?

For the majority of the book, the reader is pretty darn sure you know which one...okay, it's never really in question. I mean, we see both her and his POVs. Still, though, Ms. Sands has some tricks up her sleeve--not everything is as it seems to either Jess or the reader--and I enjoyed the unexpected twists that this story had very much. Jess tended toward TSTL a few times (why would she keep sneaking out by herself, knowing that there were "vampirates" out there looking for her instead of taking at least one of the three available big, strong guys with her for protection?) and all of the more external problems weren't quite resolved (the reason why the "vampirates" do their thing, for example) but I suppose we need to have things to work on in future books, right? ;)

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  beckymmoe | Sep 26, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,657,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible