Once Upon a Chef, the Cookbook: 100 Tested, Perfected, and Family-Approved Recipes

by Jennifer Segal

Other authors: Johnny Miller (Photographer)

"With the authority of a professional chef and the practicality of a busy working mom, [the author] teaches you to improve your cooking one recipe at a time, with helpful tips on topics such as how to season correctly with salt, how to balance flavors, and how to make the most of leftovers"--Amazon.com.… (more)

Once Upon A Chef: 100 Tested, Perfected, and Family-Approved Recipes
by Jennifer Segal
2018
Chronicle Books
4.0 / 5.0
Featuring Soups, Salads, main dishes, Cocktails, this also has sections for most chapters that feature tips for using scraps and general cooking tips. This is full of family, food and good recipes.
I hope to try
Sweet and Salty Pecans
Maryland Style Crab Cakes
Thai Crunchy Salad with Peanut Dressing
Banana Butterscotch Cake
Moroccan Style Brisket

I found this free on Prime!! Definitely worth checking out. ( )
  over.the.edge | Aug 25, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book as an early reviewer. I love cookbooks but they need to be usable not just full of pretty pictures and complicated directions. This book, while full of beautiful pictures, has easy to follow recipes. They are clear and not finicky or overly complicated. Her timings for meal planning are really good for a good at home cook; when she suggests 30 minutes the recipe is about that. The pictures entice you and then once made even taste good! The chocolate cake recipe is my new favorite as is the ginger cookies. Overall, a well written, well balanced cookbook. The author also has some sections with cooking tips if you are not too comfortable in the kitchen. Great! I'd give it as a gift. Also, this sits on the recipe shelf in the kitchen. ( )
  Jessie_Lynne | Oct 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
springtime sautéed asparagus & peas, p.161, yummy, the honey likely to encourage even the most picky child to eat their veggies.
white russian milk shakes, p.291, drinkable.
spinach & gruyère quiche, p.204, not bad, drain the spinach.
broccoli tots, p.173, not the best use of the ingredients, but would serve the purpose of hiding the broccoli from finicky eaters.
cinnamon swirl bread, p.221; quite good. ( )
  DromJohn | Sep 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this book from the LTER give-away. This book is very beautifully illustrated (some of the recipes even have some step-by-step instructions of the more complicated steps). Some of the recipes seem to be "above my paygrade" as a simple cook, but there are enough beautiful recipes in this lovely, big book to entice me to give them a try. ( )
  yukon92 | Jul 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first free book I requested/won from LibraryThing & I was so excited to receive it! The book is beautiful, great pictures & has a great mix of recipes! I love finding tasty recipes for busy weeknights with common ingredients already found in the kitchen.....and the Garlic & Herb Roasted Baby Potato recipe fit this criteria perfectly! The flavor was wonderful & this recipe will definitely become part of the rotation! Can't wait to try many other recipes in this book! Love the Heads Up, Pro Tips, Sourcing Savvy & Make Ahead Options throughout! ( )
  bap68moc98 | Jun 21, 2018 |

Jennifer Segalprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, JohnnyPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jennifer Segal's book Once Upon a Chef was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,410,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible