dismiss

The Raven Tower

by Ann Leckie

"Following her record-breaking run in science fiction, Ann Leckie, winner of the Hugo, Nebula, Arthur C. Clarke and Locus Awards, brings her immense talent to an epic fantasy novel about the hidden forces that guide our fates. Having helped win a war at great cost in human lives and to its own power, the god known as the Raven of Iraden was forced to continue to fulfill its commitment to its followers and slowly regain its strength through the steady flow of prayers and sacrifices which are the source of all the gods' powers. Centuries into that toil, a usurper to the throne of Iraden has discovered the Raven's weakened state and sets in motion a plot to gain the favor of younger, stronger gods in a bid to consolidate his power. But the Raven of Iraden is more resilient than its enemies have accounted for, and with the help of some unlikely allies it may still return to glory" --… (more)

Not my cup of tea. ( )
  ilnsgr | Aug 9, 2020 |
Original narration by a god and I really liked the more abstract ideas that come up from the chapters that focus its history, but the ending doesn't really justify the time spent on all that delving. I still really liked it but the ending made me wonder if maybe I just wanted a short story with half the narrative gone. ( )
  TegarSault | Jul 16, 2020 |
So, this is a murder mystery in a fantasy setting with an unreliable narrator - not exactly what I was expecting but I loved it! Plus, a trans character where the trans status is acknowledged, but not made his defining feature. It did take me a little bit to get into it, and the second person voice was distracting at first, but it all came together at the end. I did want more at the end - I particularly wanted to know what Eolo was going to do moving forward - but as I understand it this was meant to be a stand alone novel. That feels like a bit of a rarity these days, but I wouldn't be sad if this was revisited at some point. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 14, 2020 |
DNF @ 30%
  dayspring83 | Jul 3, 2020 |
That was a very odd story. It took a while for me to get into it as I don't generally care for an unreliable narrator. I have the feeling this is one of those books I will be pondering for a while, I think I like it...? ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I first saw you when you rode out of the forest, past the cluster of tall, bulge-eyed offering stakes that mark the edges of the forest, your horse at a walk.
There will be a reckoning.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,202,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible