Normal People: A Novel by Sally Rooney

Normal People: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Sally Rooney (Author)

Member:edmoed
Title:Normal People: A Novel
Authors:Sally Rooney (Author)
Info:Hogarth (2019), Edition: Later Printing, 288 pages

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Her second, and even better - they cover quite similar ground

English (30)  Dutch (2)  All languages (32)
I really enjoyed reading this.
The first half of this was superior to the latter half in my opinion as toward the end i found myself getting more and more frustrated with the characters although i will admit i think that was the point.

This is a love story but without all of the usual frilly bits that make it romantic.
The characters are deeply flawed and are generally quite unlikable. Despite initially rooting for the Connell and Marianne to end up together, by the end of the novel i perceived the couple to have a very toxic relationship and honestly just wanted them to leave each other alone.
Although that all sounds very negative it was a great read and i was utterly engrossed in the story and its outcome.
I felt almost nostalgic whilst reading this as i found a lot of the characters teen-hood to be similar to my own just in another country (Ireland) which i really enjoyed.

I liked this and i definitely want to read more of Sally Rooney's work. ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
The novel follows two Irish teenagers through years of an on and off again relationship. They are deeply connected, but both troubled, insecure, and prideful. No author is required to make their characters likable, and these two certainly aren’t, but the writing captures a vulnerability that’s hard to express. They are both broken in different ways, but somehow stronger together. I didn’t love the book, but I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 19, 2019 |
A Costa prize winner Normal People is a story of the relationship between Connell and Marianne. As young people growing into adulthood we learn to relate and build friendships in our daily lives, this challenge and the actions and decisions that we take can affect us for many years. Irrespective of their social backgrounds Connell and Marianne are drawn to each other from an early age. Normal People is a study of the intricacies of modern life, and no matter how complex and confusing living can be, how we learn to tolerate and understand, and how sex, power, and the ability to hurt is always present. ( )
  runner56 | Jun 16, 2019 |
I received this book for free from the publisher (Hogarth Books).

I was so excited to read this book because Sally Rooney’s other book, Conversations with Friends, is one of my all time favorite books. Because of that, I had high expectations for this book. Unfortunately, this book didn’t quite live up to them.

There were a lot of things that I did like about this book. One being that I loved the writing style. It’s very beautiful in an understated way. I also have no issues whatsoever with the no quotation mark format that Rooney utilizes. I think it fits in well with her style.

I also loved how the story delves deep into the characters and the psychology of Marianne and Connell’s relationship. It felt very intimate.

Additionally, there were some passages that I really loved. On pages 71-72, I loved the paragraph describing Connell’s love of literature. Then on page 100-101, I loved the paragraph about Marianne and Connell’s discussions after sex. These two paragraphs are just some of the many examples of the beauty of her writing.

On the flip side, what I didn’t like was that the story wasn’t that interesting. In Conversations with Friends, I loved the premise and things actually happened. In this book, there was just a lot of going back and forth between the characters. They would get together, then they would split, then they would get back together. It just didn’t interest me as much. I also wasn’t satisfied by the ending. It fell flat for me.

Overall, this book didn’t live up to my expectations, but don’t let that stop you from reading it for yourself. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jun 5, 2019 |
The writing is very sparse. The author doesn’t use quotation marks, which I find distracting. Marianne and Connell begin a secret high school hook-up relationship. Connell is popular, Marianne is a social pariah. Connell’s mother is a housekeeper of Marianne’s family. Connell insists on secrecy. They go off to college when they meet up the tables have turned Connell is a nobody and Marianne is popular. They resume their relationship which is public at college but not at home. Connell is obsessed with what other people think. They break up repeatedly over miscommunications and various misunderstandings. Marianne gets into abusive relationships with men because her father and brother were abusive. I read this book in one day which may be why I disliked it. The characters were narcissistic and while both were “top of their class” they were idiots when it came to each other. It was too much intensity to be read in one sitting. ( )
  knitwit2 | Jun 2, 2019 |
It is one of the secrets in that change of mental poise which has been fitly named conversion, that to many among us neither heaven nor earth has any revelation till some personality touches theirs with a peculiar influence, subduing them into receptiveness. George Eliot , Daniel Derond

"At school Connell and Marianne pretend not to know each other. He's popular and well-adjusted, star of the school football team, while she is lonely, proud, and intensely private. But when Connell comes to pick his mother up from her job at Marianne's house, a strange and indelible connection grows between the two teenagers--one they are determined to conceal. A year later, they're both studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Marianne has found her feet in a new social world while Connell hangs at the sidelines, shy and uncertain. Throughout their years at university, Marianne and Connell circle one another, straying toward other people and possibilities but always magnetically, irresistibly drawn back together. And as she veers into self-destruction and he begins to search for meaning elsewhere, each must confront how far they are willing to go to save the other" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible