This Is How You Lose The Time War by Max…

This Is How You Lose The Time War (edition 2019)

by Max Gladstone (Author), Amal El-Mohtar (Author)

Among the ashes of a dying world, an agent of the Commandant finds a letter. It reads: Burn before reading. Thus begins an unlikely correspondence between two rival agents hellbent on securing the best possible future for their warring factions. Now, what began as a taunt, a battlefield boast, grows into something more. Something epic. Something romantic. Something that could change the past and the future. Except the discovery of their bond would mean death for each of them.… (more)
Member:rmarcin
Title:This Is How You Lose The Time War
Authors:Max Gladstone (Author)
Other authors:Amal El-Mohtar (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio and Blackstone Audio (2019), Edition: Unabridged, 1 pages

Work Information

This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar

English (137)  Swedish (1)  All languages (138)
There was a period about a third of the way through where the format of this was starting to feel a bit repetitive: blue in a timeline finds letter, text of letter, red in a timeline finds letter, text of letter, back to blue. I think I wanted to spend more time in those timelines/worlds and see what was going on there, which is not the point of the book obviously but added a little bit to a sense of frustration I was feeling. But just as the relationship between red and blue was shifting, my feelings towards the format also shifted. I was really taken with the final third or so and really couldn't guess where it was going. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
A remarkably inventive and engrossing story. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 11, 2022 |
Maybe deciding to listen to this one on audiobook wasn’t a great idea. I might have missed something since I am still left with questions about the war and how the time travel works. I don’t care enough about those things to reread the book in another format though.
This book follows two characters that call themselves Red and Blue and communicate with each other through space and time. These characters are on opposite sides of the war, but begin to fall in love.
This book is probably too heavy on the romance for me. It has some beautiful sentences, but at times there were too many metaphors and it felt very excessive for my taste. I am also not a fan of time travel stories and this didn’t make me change my mind about those plots.
There’s some references to historical figures that I didn’t care for. Not too much, but it’s there.
I liked that the book is so short. I would probably not have finished it if it was longer since I wasn’t invested in the characters and that is necessary in order to read this book because there isn’t much else besides the communication between the two and their bond. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
oh my god. i cannot believe how good this book was. i was really sceptical as to how the authors could accomplish making me believe that two people built a true connection in roughly 200 pages. and they did, and how they did! i was completely enthralled by the characters and their connection only halfway through seemed so real and earnest, i've read so many 400, 500 page books that didn't even deliver a percentage of that real connection! so please: if you ever considered picking this book up, see this as your sign! ( )
  mandarinenschaeler | Aug 9, 2022 |
This Is How You Lose the Time War is a story about two top agents from warring time war factions--each charged with making various changes to various timelines to ensure their faction's vision of the future comes to pass. Unbeknownst to their superiors, these agents start writing secret letters to one another. The early ones are taunting, but they become more friendly and eventually turn into love letters. Things come to a head when one agent is specifically tasked with taking out the other, which they try to avoid but it turns into a Romeo and Juliet-esque disaster. It doesn't end there though (because time travel), though the ending itself is a little hard to understand (because time travel). All in all, I found this to be a pretty engaging short read. ( )
  Phrim | Aug 4, 2022 |
Part epistolary romance, part mind-blowing science fiction adventure, this dazzling story unfolds bit by bit, revealing layers of meaning as it plays with cause and effect, wildly imaginative technologies, and increasingly intricate wordplay.

El-Mohtar, Amalprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladstone, Maxmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stadnyk, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

To you.

PS. Yes, you.
When Red wins, she stands alone.
(Adventure works in any strand—it calls to those who care more for living than for their lives.)
Viewed from sufficient height, all problems are simple. All knots can be untied with a few deaths, or ten thousand.
I am yours in other ways as well: yours as I watch the world for your signs, apophenic as a haruspex; yours as I debate methods, motives, chances of delivery; yours as I review your words by their sequence, their sound, smell, taste, taking care no one memory of them becomes too worn.

Red and Blue, rival
time agents, correspond to
taunt, then fall in love.
(passion4reading)

Amal El-Mohtar is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,212,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible