This is How You Lose the Time War [Lingua…

This is How You Lose the Time War [Lingua Inglese]: Max Gladstone & Amal… (edition 2019)

by Max Gladstone (Autore)

Among the ashes of a dying world, an agent of the Commandant finds a letter. It reads: Burn before reading. Thus begins an unlikely correspondence between two rival agents hellbent on securing the best possible future for their warring factions. Now, what began as a taunt, a battlefield boast, grows into something more. Something epic. Something romantic. Something that could change the past and the future. Except the discovery of their bond would mean death for each of them.… (more)
Member:LancasterDepository
Title:This is How You Lose the Time War [Lingua Inglese]: Max Gladstone & Amal El-Mohtar
Authors:Max Gladstone (Autore)
Info:Hachette Collections (2019), Edition: 01, 208 pages

Work Information

This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar

English (144)  Swedish (1)  All languages (145)
This sci-fi, epistolary novel follows two soldiers--Red and Blue--serving two sides of a war and their furtive correspondence. It starts with taunting letters, but grows into something more.
Each chapter ends with a letter clandestinely delivered in a creative way, for example through a seal's innards or by a very precise arrangement of bones and wind to whistle a voice message. The book introduces confusing terminology and tech at the beginning that isn't elucidated until later in the book; I am fine with that. It manages to communicate or show the world without explaining the world. I enjoyed the ending.
It's short and sweet, I have no complaints. ( )
  KJC__ | Nov 27, 2022 |
I thought this book was solidly good. The writing was gorgeous, which was one of the reasons why I liked it so much. I also really liked the back and forth of the letters and how witty and beautiful they were. I think I was expecting more of a solid connection between Red and Blue, though, so I think that's why I didn't love it as much. I'm used to more drawn out romances rather than a strange, budding connection between strangers. Very fast read, I will say that. I read this in two days. I think that if this book had just been entirely letters it would've had a more emotional impact on me, but I liked it nonetheless. ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
Hated it! I see a lot of people love this book and I can see why because it is poetic. I think this takes a special kind of person to understand this mess. I completed it for the popsugar challenge or else I would have DNF. The book isn't too long so I read it quickly. Two women from different sides of a future time war write each other letters through time. ( )
  debbie13410 | Oct 22, 2022 |
”Dearest, deepest Blue—At the end as at the start, and through all the in-betweens, I love you.” ( )
  ninaleonidovna | Oct 2, 2022 |
3.5★
"I'll be all the poets, I'll kill them all and take each one's place in turn, and every time love's written in all the strands it will be to you."

I wanted to like this book. I really, really did. The last 100 pages find such a delicate balance between lyricism and plot that I wanted to rate them separately. I enjoyed them a lot. But the middle 100 were so repetitive and shallow that I found myself immensely bored. I think I'm just not enough of a romantic to savor it as it is.

The story is beautifully written, but I was painfully aware the whole time that all these pretty words were saying very little other than how much they love each other for some reason we are never explained. We explore 1001 ways to write poetics about colors and compose love letters, but have to dig for any information about what the hell is going on. (Until those last 100 or so pages that I actually enjoyed besides the prose, wish we had more of that)

Now, I understand that it was The Point. This Is How You Lose The Time War is not a story about the war, is about two people finding love in the midst of it. I just didn't care. At all. I'm very much a plot person unless we have extremely complex characters, which wasn't the case here. This isn't a fault in execution, just an umatched set of style and reader.

This book is really good at being what it wants to be. I would just have liked it better if it was something different. ( )
  mpturra | Sep 19, 2022 |
Part epistolary romance, part mind-blowing science fiction adventure, this dazzling story unfolds bit by bit, revealing layers of meaning as it plays with cause and effect, wildly imaginative technologies, and increasingly intricate wordplay.

El-Mohtar, Amalprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladstone, Maxmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stadnyk, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

To you.

PS. Yes, you.
When Red wins, she stands alone.
(Adventure works in any strand—it calls to those who care more for living than for their lives.)
Viewed from sufficient height, all problems are simple. All knots can be untied with a few deaths, or ten thousand.
I am yours in other ways as well: yours as I watch the world for your signs, apophenic as a haruspex; yours as I debate methods, motives, chances of delivery; yours as I review your words by their sequence, their sound, smell, taste, taking care no one memory of them becomes too worn.

Red and Blue, rival
time agents, correspond to
taunt, then fall in love.
(passion4reading)

Amal El-Mohtar is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,034,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible