Descender Volume 6: The Machine War (2018)

by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (Artist)

Series: Descender (27-32)

A new, cataclysmic chapter of theDescender saga is here! All the various factions who have been hunting Tim-21finally converge around the ocean planet, Mata just as the robots launch theirgalaxy wide revolution! But nothing can prepare the young android Tim, or thereaders, for what happens next. The Descender saga comes to a startling climaxand sets the stage for the next, mind bendingadventure. A new chapter of the heartfeltSci-Fi epic by superstar creators JEFF LEMIRE and DUSTIN NGUYEN beginshere. Collects issues 27 through32.… (more)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
A solid conclusion to an fun and beautiful graphic adventure with a lead-in for the next series. I think I might have liked it better if it had simply ended there without the set-up for Ascender, but that's a very subjective thing. The art in this series is exceptional and I'll be very happy with the next series if I get to enjoy more of that. ( )
  Zoes_Human | May 4, 2022 |
The conclusion to the Descender series. All factions converge on the Mata system for a final confrontation. The UGC fleet, the Gnishians, the Machine fleet begin their conflict over Tim-21. The origins of the Descenders are revealed and Tim-21 has to choose the fate of the human worlds. A fitting conclusion to an interesting series which explores the relationship between humans and machines in an engaging space-opera setting. The water colour work by Dustin Nguyen is very distinctive, though not entirely to my taste. ( )
  questbird | Jan 25, 2022 |
Gorgeous art and exceptional choices for full page spreads. However, all that perfect slow build of tension in the last 2 volumes didn't resolve at all. This volume has such a non-ending with too many massive things happening without proper depth. We don't know what happens to most of the characters. The times the Descenders choose to interfere or not seem to be motivated more by plot need than by what makes sense in universe. I get that there's setup for a continuation series, but this series should still have a proper ending and doesn't because there are way too many loose threads. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
I'm up and down with this one. Of course, I'm reading this late enough to know there's an Ascender series that follows it, so I wasn't fully expecting everything to be wrapped up...yet, it was.

Sort of.

On the other hand, the sudden introduction of magic into what had been up to this point fairly hardcore SF, felt clunky and added on last minute.

Still, the artwork was lovely, and the storyline still holds my attention enough that I'll give Ascender a shot. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
This is the finale of the series and the author does not disappoint. Our favorite characters are teamed up for the final showdown between AI and mankind. Tim-21’s value is indisputable but he is being pulled in many directions. We are given more backstory about the sentient beings that seem to be at the heart of this conflict.

As always the artwork perfectly pictured the action. There were emotional scenes as Tim-21, Bandit and Andy finally met face to face, and the kiss between Effie and Andy as they waited to die was exquisitely portrayed. This climactic volume brings a close to the Descender saga, but it also set the stage for a companion series entitled the Ascender.

The 6 books that made up the Descender series were beautifully drawn and colored. The galactic story was heartfelt, the characters were engaging, and the action was stunning. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 18, 2021 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, DustinArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,318,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible