Descender Volume 6: The Machine War (2018)

by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (Artist)

Series: Descender (27-32)

"All the various factions that have been hunting TIM-21 finally converge around the ocean planet Mata, just as the robots launch their galaxy-wide revolution. But nothing can prepare the young android Tim--or the readers--for what happens next. This climactic chapter...brings the Descender saga to a close and sets the stage for the next mind-bending adventure."--Page 4 of cover… (more)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
Lemire and Nguyen finish this portion of their epic in splendid fashion. I am looking forward to the new sequel series, Ascender! ( )
  ryantlaferney87 | Dec 8, 2023 |
Great art, a cool story, decent characters (except Driller, he was awesome), and I loved the ending. I already have all 4 of the Ascender graphic novels, can't wait to see where the story goes from here. ( )
  ragwaine | Jul 21, 2023 |
This was the second solid five stars of the year for me (for reference, this was also the 107th thing I read this year).

I honestly don't know how to review this. I still feel like crying? Despite this, I'm anxiously awaiting Ascender? I have no words, at least ones with any coherence.

- The art style is absolutely to die for
- The characters are great
- The story was so good
- The story also reminded me of the original Mass Effect trilogy. Which, also good.
- The pacing was excellent
- The emotional impact was so unexpectedly massive
- I am forever ruined for any other graphic novel ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
The conclusion to the Descender series. All factions converge on the Mata system for a final confrontation. The UGC fleet, the Gnishians, the Machine fleet begin their conflict over Tim-21. The origins of the Descenders are revealed and Tim-21 has to choose the fate of the human worlds. A fitting conclusion to an interesting series which explores the relationship between humans and machines in an engaging space-opera setting. The water colour work by Dustin Nguyen is very distinctive, though not entirely to my taste. ( )
  questbird | Jan 25, 2022 |
Gorgeous art and exceptional choices for full page spreads. However, all that perfect slow build of tension in the last 2 volumes didn't resolve at all. This volume has such a non-ending with too many massive things happening without proper depth. We don't know what happens to most of the characters. The times the Descenders choose to interfere or not seem to be motivated more by plot need than by what makes sense in universe. I get that there's setup for a continuation series, but this series should still have a proper ending and doesn't because there are way too many loose threads. ( )
1 vote hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, DustinArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ostrakon.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,073,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible