My Favorite Half-Night Stand by Christina…

My Favorite Half-Night Stand (edition 2018)

by Christina Lauren (Author)

"By the New York Times bestselling author who "hilariously depicts modern dating" (Us Weekly), My Favorite Half-Night Stand is a laugh-out-loud romp through online dating and its many, many fails. Millie Morris has always been one of the guys. A UC Santa Barbara professor, she's a female-serial-killer expert who's quick with a deflection joke and terrible at getting personal. And she, just like her four best guy friends and fellow professors, is perma-single. So when a routine university function turns into a black tie gala, Mille and her circle make a pact that they'll join an online dating service to find plus-ones for the event. There's only one hitch: after making the pact, Millie and one of the guys, Reid Campbell, secretly spent the sexiest half-night of their lives together, but mutually decide the friendship would be better off strictly platonic. But online dating isn't for the faint of heart. While the guys are inundated with quality matches and potential dates, Millie's first profile attempt garners nothing but dick pics and creepers. Enter "Catherine"--Millie's fictional profile persona, in whose make-believe shoes she can be more vulnerable than she's ever been in person. Soon "Catherine" and Reid strike up a digital pen-pal-ship...but Millie can't resist temptation in real life, either. Soon, Millie will have to face her worst fear--intimacy--or risk losing her best friend, forever. Perfect for fans of Roxanne and She's the Man, Christina Lauren's latest romantic comedy is full of mistaken identities, hijinks, and a classic love story with a modern twist. Funny and fresh, you'll want to swipe right on My Favorite Half-Night Stand"--… (more)
Member:Dana723
Title:My Favorite Half-Night Stand
Authors:Christina Lauren (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2018), 384 pages

My Favorite Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren

My family has adopted the Icelandic Christmas tradition of getting a book on Christmas Eve to take with you to bed. (The tradition also includes some chocolates, but I haven't convinced my parents of that yet.) So this year, my mother was drawn to find a book for me, and this was the one she found, saying it "jumped out to her." I'd never heard of it before, but it sounded interesting enough. It's the type of description that if I saw it as a cheap book on Bookbub, I'd consider buying it, but would have to think twice if I was buying it straight off the shelf.

Word to the wise: do not hesitate. This is a glorious little book.

We follow a close-knit friend group of hyper-focused professorial types--four guys and one gal--as they realize that an upcoming event at the school is going to be an all stops out, black tie plus one type of affair. And none of them have dates. Being fairly secluded in their work environment, they decide to turn to online dating websites--and this goes about as well as one might imagine.

Millie and Reid, our female and male protagonists respectively, alternate view points. From the very start, it's clear that these two should have hooked up ages ago, and haven't. But Reid is a sucker for emotional connections and Millie is more bottled up than the next five people combined. So when Millie decides to use her middle name on the dating site and gets matched with Reid... She assumes he'll figure it out instantly.

And yet.

As with most romances, we all know where it's headed in the end, but this one was just nerve-racking enough that I peeked at the last few pages just to make sure. (I'm so bad with surprises.) Reid is dedicated to his work, Millie is trying to hide from her past and ends up hiding from her present and future at the same time... All of the group are people I've known, I swear--and I could see myself in both Millie and Reid's shoes easily.

It's a fascinating look at the current online generation, and how we struggle both to open up to one another honestly, and how difficult it can be for those of us already in professions to meet people. And as Millie shows so well, for the ladies of the group, it's all too easy to be buried in a pile of unsolicited pictures of male genitalia and blatant attempts at sex.

It's been a very long time since I stayed up and read a full book in one sitting, but this one demanded that I get to the end before I fell asleep. And given that I went and lied down with the intention of "I'll read for a little before falling dead asleep because I'm exhausted," color me impressed for staying away.

Definitely a recommended book. It's properly a 4.5 star rating, but you'll see it rounded up on places like Amazon and Goodreads, because it deserves to be rounded up more than it does rounded down. ( )
  KOrionFray | Oct 5, 2019 |
Millie works at UCSB with Reid, Chris, Ed, & Alex... all who work under Dustin, Millie's ex. She is just one of the boys; the have game nights, lunch twice a week, dinner, & hang-out.

When obama is scheduled to speak at the annual university dinner, it becomes a black-tie affair and for some reason they decide they should all have dates.

Reid, being sweet on Millie asks her first... but then they all agree to try a dating site...

Millie writes their introductions, but her's is so bland, she rewrites it using a different name and is matched w/ Reid, who falls for her new persona.... Meanwhile things heat up between Reid & Millie and that is where things become complicated.

Cute story, fun to read, but totally unrealistic male characters.... Reid wants someone open & honest who he can talk to & share his feelings with ? Huh? I think not....

In fact today while giving a tour, I overheard a man tell a woman: "Men don't like to talk about....."

This was cute fantasy..... + 1/2 Star for cuteness. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jul 28, 2019 |
Millie is friends with a group of guys. She starts falling for one of them and connects with him through a dating website. She is using a different name, so he doesn't know he is connecting with her.

This was interesting, but not really all that unique of a story line. I was bored through some of it. I did like the banter between the friends and wished to learn more about some of them. ( )
  sdbookhound | Apr 19, 2019 |
For its genre, this is a decent book. It's predictable (think You've Got Mail), but it all wraps up and ends as expected. It's a cute, happy rom-com of a book. A quick, light read. ( )
  Sbojo32 | Jan 30, 2019 |
Millie’s best friends are guys. She’s never dated any of them. But recently she’s found herself attracted to Reid.

They have what they both assume will be a one night stand.

Everyone had already agreed to join a dating website.

The guys all tease Millie about how boring her profile is.
She creates an alternate profile using her middle name, Catherine.
When she connects with Reid, as Catherine, she knows she should come clean. But she doesn’t. Instead she finds herself opening up to Reid more as Catherine than she ever can as Millie.

Millie has always had trouble opening up to people.
And it seems like the reason her and Reid aren’t a couple already is because she doesn’t really let him get to know her.

Her closest friends are a group of guys, she’s known them for years, they see each other twice a week but no one would even know her middle name.

Things get complicated of course. Especially considering Millie knows she’s talking to Reid but Reid doesn’t know he’s talking to her.

Cute story but drug on a bit at the end
  Mishale1 | Jan 2, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible