The Dalkey Archive by Flann O'Brien

The Dalkey Archive (edition 2006)

by Flann O'Brien

Member:clevercelt
Title:The Dalkey Archive
Authors:Flann O'Brien
Info:Dalkey Archive Pr (2006), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 204 pages
Rating:***
Tags:funny, comic, satire, commentary, Irish,

The Dalkey Archive by Flann O'Brien

I am not sure what I'm reading and the vernacular is strange.
But each time I pick up the Archive I fall right into the story. I am enjoying it but certain that I am not getting it.
  jent33 | Nov 7, 2013 |
I feel like I have so much to say about this book, though I don't. The first third could be classified as the most fascinating story I've ever read. From there, it gets weird, a bit confusing, and a touch tedious. "Is the main character crazy? Am I??" you might wonder at several points. Many of the words will require a trip to the dictionary - 33% of those words will be defined for you (unless you are from Ireland, in which case, awesome!). I love and am confused by this book. It'll need to be read again, which I'm fairly sure I'm looking forward to? In the meantime, I intend to think the hell out of it. ( )
  annmariestover | Apr 4, 2013 |
This one goes in my weirdly wonderful category along with Mrs. Caliban. Not they are really anything alike, except that they are very odd. Way too much fun. ( )
1 vote lucybrown | Jan 20, 2011 |
Is it possible to not be entirely sure what something you just read is, and still enjoy every moment of it? Apparently so, because that is my first take on this book. It is bizarre, it is funny, it is weird, it is somewhat indescribable, and it seems to go all over the place while going very little distance. Yet, at the end, it is still satisfying and perplexing and contains thoughts and concepts that will haunt me for quite a while.

The plot is close to indecipherable. Mick and Hackett meet DeSelby, a man who has found a way to use the atmosphere to play with time and, eventually, destroy the world. He also uses this same method to talk to saints and important religious individuals of the past. Mick also discovers that James Joyce is alive and selling drinks at a local tavern. As he is making this discovery, he is putting together the plot to steal the source of DeSelby’s ability and save the world. And through all this, there are twisted conversations with such entities as St. Augustine and, of course, James Joyce.

The conversations are all over the place. The plot (here it sounds like science fiction – in the book it just sounds – well, wacky) merely ties the conversations together. And the entire affect is still more fun than it sounds. At least, I think it is. Did I mention I’m still not sure what was going on here? ( )
1 vote figre | Jun 14, 2010 |
Tickled to learn about the 'Mollycule' theory among other interesting things. O'Brien's language skills rank up there with the very best. ( )
1 vote Porius | May 11, 2010 |
Dalkey is a little town maybe twelve miles south of Dublin, on the shore.

Considered by the author to be almost a work of science fiction, the book includes among its "characters" St Augustine, James Joyce and a man who is in danger of turning into a bicycle. There is also the first published portrait of the mad scientist, who was later to achieve fame as de Selby.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,443,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible