New Poets of Native Nations

by Heid E. Erdrich (Editor)

Other authors: Tacey M. Atsitty (Contributor), Trevino L. Brings Plenty (Contributor), Julian Talamantez Brolaski (Contributor), Laura Da' (Contributor), Natalie Diaz (Contributor)16 more, Jennifer Elise Foerster (Contributor), Eric Gansworth (Contributor), Gordon Henry Jr (Contributor), Sy Hoahwah (Contributor), LeAnne Howe (Contributor), Layli Long Soldier (Contributor), Janet McAdams (Contributor), Brandy Nālani McDougall (Contributor), Margaret Noodin (Contributor), dg nanouk okpik (Contributor), Craig Santos Perez (Contributor), Tommy Pico (Contributor), Cedar Sigo (Contributor), ML Smoker (Contributor), Gwen Nell Westerman (Contributor), Karenne Wood (Contributor)

"New Poets of Native Nations gathers poets of diverse ages, styles, languages, and tribal affiliations to present the extraordinary range and power of new Native poetry. Heid E. Erdrich has selected twenty-one poets whose first books were published after the year 2000 to highlight the exciting works coming up after Joy Harjo and Sherman Alexie. Collected here are poems of great breadth--long narratives, political outcries, experimental works, and traditional lyrics--and the result is an essential anthology of some of the best poets writing now."--Back cover.… (more)

This is a collection of twenty one Native American poets from the Eastern seaboard to Alaska and Hawaii.

As with any omnibus, some of the poems really spoke to me; others less so. There were a few of the poets that I wondered if I did not have the cultural knowledge to appreciate their point of view.

It gave me many new-to-me poets to explore. I also appreciated the brief autobiographical notes that each author wrote at the end of the book. As each named some of their inspirations, it also provided another set of poets for me to explore.

Although I didn’t enjoy all the content, I give it 4 stars. It’s a treat as a jumping off place. ( )
  streamsong | Nov 6, 2020 |
A great survey of a very diverse field. Some work that kicks back hard at settler bullshit; some that is much more contemplative and/or personal. Like any such collection I didn't love all of it, but I've ended up putting books by more than half of the features poets on my wishlist, which I think is great success for a compilation. ( )
  eldang | Apr 16, 2020 |
This is a collection of poetry by a variety of poets from Native Natives. The poets cover a wide variety of Nations that from North America (including Canada) to Hawaii and Guam. Each poet selected had their first book of poetry published after 2000 and each poet had several poems included. This really gave the reader an overview of their work. I really appreciated the diversity of voices included. Like any collection, there were some poets whose style I appreciated more than others. I really wish I heard most of these poems read aloud, especially those that included native languages. Although the poets represented a diverse group of nations, there were some common themes throughout the collection. I liked that these were modern voices and representatives of their modern cultures. So much of what we learn about these cultures is historical, there is a danger of freezing them in the past in your mind. But these are real people living in the modern world, still dealing with the history of the genocide of their peoples. ( )
  Cora-R | Nov 12, 2019 |

Long Soldier, LayliContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McAdams, JanetContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McDougall, Brandy NālaniContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Noodin, MargaretContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
okpik, dg nanoukContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Perez, Craig SantosContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pico, TommyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sigo, CedarContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smoker, MLContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerman, Gwen NellContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, KarenneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bitsui, SherwinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Speaker, Mary AustinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,768,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible