Nightwing Vol. 1: Better Than Batman…

Nightwing Vol. 1: Better Than Batman (Rebirth) (edition 2017)

by Tim Seeley (Author)

Series: Nightwing: Rebirth (1-4;7-8), DC Rebirth

"Nightwing is back...in blue! He's been Robin, he's been a super spy, a ghost. Now, Dick Grayson finds himself back in Gotham City fighting to reclaim the life that was taken from him. But when a new evil threatens those closest to Dick, as Nightwing he must once again choose whether or not to tear himself away from his home in order to combat this dark force. Everything Dick thought he knew about being Nightwing will be brought to bear, and his relationship to his former mentor Batman will be put to the test in NIGHTWING: VOL. 1 written by Tim Seeley (GRAYSON) with art by Yanick Paquette (SWAMP THING, BATMAN/SUPERMAN) and rising star Javier Fernandez (RED HOOD/ARSENAL)."--… (more)
Member:becca.helme
Title:Nightwing Vol. 1: Better Than Batman (Rebirth)
Authors:Tim Seeley (Author)
Info:DC Comics (2017), Edition: Illustrated, 168 pages

Work Information

Nightwing (Rebirth) Vol. 1: Better Than Batman by Tim Seeley

Read in deluxe edition (own in hb) ( )
  Lillian_Francis | Feb 24, 2021 |
Really good artwork on this one! The story is pretty great too, with the undercover spying and all. Former Batman's Robin is now becoming Nightwing. Some may had not seen this coming but what can you do.

It is not super great story at some points, but it is pretty good overall. An enjoyable comic to read. ( )
  GeorgiaKo | Dec 1, 2020 |
I'm gonna say this was a 3.5 for me.

Part of it is my own fault as I had to piece together some of the events prior to those of this volume, namely Dick's time with Spyral. I've read Court of Owls so I was okay on that front.

I liked the art, I liked the take on Dick "finding himself" as his own hero sans Batman, and I liked the overall premise. Some of the events just seemed really contrived, or at least didn't flow where I felt they should have. ( )
  Octjillery | May 5, 2020 |
I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, so bad. No clear plot that I can see or follow. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Nightwing Vol. 1: Better Than Batman (Rebirth) by Tim Seeley (illustrated by Javier Fernandez, colored by Chris Sotomayor) is a graphic novel featuring the grown up Dick Greyson / Robin (yes, that one… Batman’s sidekick). This graphic novel collects issues #1-4, #7-8.

Dick Greyson has resurfaced after finishing his assignment as a super-spy and steps back into his role as Nightwing, protector of the city of Blüdhaven. Batman, the former boss, insists on Nightwing working solo, not as part of the new Batman team.

A mysterious man named Raptor, who says he’s an ally but acts as an enemy, shows and forces Nightwing to join forces to take down the Parliament of Owls. All this while trying to rekindle his romance with Barbara Gordon (Batgirl).

I have never really followed Nightwing, I always thought he was a good character but he never really captured my interest. I did however enjoy many of the Rebirth issues that DC Comics published, so when I had a chance to read Nightwing Vol. 1: Better Than Batman (Rebirth) by Tim Seeley (illustrated by Javier Fernandez, colored by Chris Sotomayor), I jumped on it.

I think not following the latest version of Nightwing has somewhat impaired my ability to enjoy this book to the fullest. The storyline referred to other adventures / incarnations I was not aware of, which seem to cumulate in this book in order to tie up loose ends.

The new character the creative team introduces, Raptor, is one of the better new characters DC Comics came out with in awhile. Actually I shouldn’t really say that since there are several new characters in this universe (especially the Batwoman books) which I really enjoyed.

Unfortunately, one of the things I remember from my few encounters with Nightwing is the Parliament of Owls (Court of Owls of old). I was disappointed to see them resurface in this graphic novel, years (decades?) of stories yet the same tired group of incompetent tyrants.

Parliament of Owls aside, I did enjoy this book and its storyline. A new character which I hope to see more of and Nightwing getting back to what he does best.

For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com ( )
  ZoharLaor | Mar 11, 2018 |
Gotham City.
Nightwing.
Do you know where that name came from? Most people think it's a "Batman" thing. Y'know, former Robin emulating his former mentor because bats go out at night. They've got wings. It makes sense.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,341,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible