Depth of Winter

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (14)

3151966,130 (3.65)30
Welcome to Walt Longmire's worst nightmare. In Craig Johnson's latest mystery, Depth of Winter, an international hit man and the head of one of the most vicious drug cartels in Mexico has kidnapped Walt's beloved daughter, Cady, to auction her off to his worst enemies, of which there are many. The American government is of limited help and the Mexican one even less. Walt heads into the one-hundred-and-ten degree heat of the Northern Mexican desert alone, one man against an army.… (more)

No shortage of violence or challenge with many unpredictable scenes. Even the chase scene is almost numerous. I do miss having some of the usual suspects present - but since there are more stories to follow waiting is acceptable. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Aug 29, 2021 |
The body count is high in this one. Walt tracks down his daughter who is being held in Mexico by the man he believes killed his daughter's husband and threatens everyone he loves. Walt is surrounded by a cast of new and interesting characters as he takes on this mission, a stranger in a strange land, where he obviously does not fit. As usual, Walt dances with death more than once and it gets brutal. This book resolves some important questions, except what happens next. How do the answers impact his life and others around him. Looking forward to future books. ( )
1 vote LJCain | Apr 28, 2020 |
I normally enjoy Longmire books, but this one just did not click. It's set in Mexico as Longmire looks for his kidnapped daughter. That just is not where Walt ought to be. He belongs in Wyoming. The book just did not work for me. ( )
1 vote buffalogr | Mar 18, 2020 |
Heavy violence, somewhat depressing, not the best Longmire tale I've read. These novels come across better for me in film as I pretty much always enjoyed the TV series. ( )
  ZachMontana | Jan 14, 2020 |
What happened to this series? The series started as lite mysteries, they are no longer mysteries, nothing to solve here. Just violence (and not even exciting violence, like Power of the Dog, more like violence lite). And the best character of this series, Henry Standing Bear, only briefly makes an appearance. Feel like Johnson just phoned this one in. Hope the next one is better, or I may have to give up on this series. ( )
1 vote tshrope | Jan 13, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus
Poor Mexico, so far from God and so near the United States. -Porfirio Diaz
I turned my water glass in the slick circle of condensation on the smooth, red lacquer of the table between us and studied the man across from me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,947,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible