God's Book of Proverbs: Biblical Wisdom…

God's Book of Proverbs: Biblical Wisdom Arranged by Topic (edition 2018)

by B&H Editorial Staff (Author)

441,664,912 (5)None
Member:jonnydollar77
Title:God's Book of Proverbs: Biblical Wisdom Arranged by Topic
Authors:B&H Editorial Staff (Author)
Info:B&H Books (2018), Edition: Lea, 224 pages
Rating:*****

God's Book of Proverbs: Biblical Wisdom Arranged by Topic by B&H Editorial Staff

No tags.

This little volume is quite a gem! The book contains every single verse of the book of Proverbs broken down into 60 categories. Examples of some of the topics are Integrity, Purity, Friendship, Anger, and Marriage. Since some verses contain multiple themes, those verses appear in each applicable category. God's Book of Proverbs uses the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) translation of Scripture so depending on which version you're used to reading, you may find the text slightly different.

The book is quite small; only 6.5 by 4.5 inches (16.51 cm by 11.43 cm). It is a 224-page hardcover volume and also has a handy bookmark ribbon. The cover has a nice fabric sort of feel to it and the version I received also had a half slipcover. While one could read the book straight through, I found it quite a nice practice to choose a particular category which either corresponded to my feelings during a particular day or was a topic that I wished to explore. I would then read through several of the verses in that category.

This pocket-sized book is perfect for gifting as well as for personal encouragement. The way the text is arranged makes it easy to dip into various topics on a daily basis and be encouraged by the wisdom of God's Word. In addition to the Topic Listing in the front of the book, it also contains an extensive index of specific terms and ideas which allows the reader to go a bit deeper into a particular topic.

The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jonnydollar77 | Jun 13, 2018 |
As James 1:5 states, anyone wanting wisdom need only ask God. And isn’t it wonderful that God gave us an entire book in the Bible with nuggets of wisdom that fit any and all situation or circumstance that we could encounter? The folks at B&H Publishing have taken the scripture found in the book of Proverbs and arranged it topically in God’s Book of Proverbs. For use as a reference or word study, this book is divided into 60 topics including conflict, friendship, marriage, peace, and self-control. There is also an index at the back that helps a reader to find just what he or she is looking for. Useful for anyone who wants to discover the wisdom of God, I think God’s Book of Proverbs would be make an excellent gift for a new graduate too.

Recommended.

Audience: teens to adults.

(Thanks to B&H Publishing for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | May 2, 2018 |
This book complies and sorts the wisdom of the whole book of Proverbs (Using the CSB translation) by topic. So you can look up wisdom on Anger, Conflict, Deception, the Heart, Money, Laziness…etc. The version I have is a beautifully bound hardcover with an elegant design using shades of tan. The inside is very nice and elegant as well.

I really like the emphasis, in the introduction to this compilation, though wisdom is an excellent thing to have, on it's own it will not bring you happiness and salvation. "King Solomon, the man responsible for most of the sayings in this book, was considered the wisest man in history…..Even so, Solomon disregarded some of the wisdom God gave him…" We need more than just knowledge of the right, we need the right Person to make us holy and put His law in our hearts.

What I didn't quite get in the intro, though, was the statement that "The entire message of the Bible, including this book of Proverbs, is summarized like this:….(after quoting John 3:16)…By turning from our sin and trusting in Jesus, the one who became wisdom from God for us, we can know true wisdom now and be assured of living in God's presence forever." I don't think that someone would get that message from just reading the book of Proverbs…. The book of Proverbs turns us to God but doesn't directly tell us that we cannot follow its wisdom without Christ. But perhaps I'm just being too nit-picky here.

Anyway, this is a really handy book to have. Feeling lonely and as if you don't have enough friends? Turn to the Friendship section, in it you will find that "One with many friends may be harmed but there is a friend who stays closer than a brother." Feeling rather proud of yourself today? In the section on pride you will be reminded that "Pride comes before destruction and an arrogant spirit before a fall."

This book would make a great graduation present!

Many thanks to the folks at B&H Bloggers for sending me a free review copy of this book! My review did not have to be favorable. ( )
  SnickerdoodleSarah | Apr 25, 2018 |
Title: God’s Book of Proverbs (Biblical Wisdom Arranged by Topic)
Author: B & H Editorial Staff
Pages: 224
Year: 2018
Publisher: B & H Books
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
This is a very unique way to arrange the Proverbs that are handy to find words of wisdom from the book of Proverbs that focus on many topics. The Bible version used is the Christian Standard Bible that is very easy to read and helps to meditate on the topic. Readers are encouraged to be mark key words, and can write notes and thoughts that God brings to mind.
I believe this would be a very useful tool for lay counselors and mentors, pastors, professional counselors and new believers or even seekers of the truth. The small compact size makes carrying around the book quite handy when a person finds a few minutes or hours to read the Word of God in their daily life.
I am thinking the verses are just a beginning place to start understanding Proverbs by topic, but I hadn’t seen this format done before and found it a handy book to keep close for wisdom. The book can be given for any reason, to any person close by or sent to someone who lives far away as it encourages and exhorts us to live our lives in a way that brings God glory.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Apr 23, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,473,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible