The Peacock Summer by Hannah Richell

The Peacock Summer

by Hannah Richell

1221,105,177 (4.3)None

This is such a lovely story! When her grandmother, Lillian, has a bad fall, Maggie Oberon returns to her family home, Cloudesley, in the Chiltern Hills to look after her. As Maggie helps Lillian to recover, secrets are revealed which help Maggie come to terms with her childhood and solve the problems in her recent past.

I love a dual timeframe tale and this one just gripped me from beginning to end. Maggie’s and Lillian’s individual but interconnecting stories are wonderfully and seamlessly told. The descriptions of the rapidly decaying and neglected old manor house along with its grounds are so vivid and picturesque - it’s easy to picture in your mind, especially the peacocks! There is a great cast of varied and interesting characters, too, all of whom are realistic and well drawn.

It’s a compelling and captivating story of love in all its forms, jealousy, courage and forgiveness. I absolutely loved it. Highly recommended. ( )
  VanessaCW | Aug 24, 2018 |
The Peacock Summer by Hannah Richell is the perfect historical fiction novel and I just loved it! Replete with crumbling mansion/estate that has seen better years, the novel is a story about family, secrets and regrets unfolding in a dual narrative.

Lillian marries Charles Oberon at the age of 26 and becomes mistress of Cloudesley, a manor house in the Chilterns. Now quite elderly, Lillian's story unfolds in a series of flashbacks.

Maggie comes back to Cloudesley to care for her Grandmother Lillian and is forced to face the repercussions and shame of her own actions a year or so ago.

I flew through The Peacock Summer and felt as though it was written just for me. Don't you love it when that happens? The pacing was perfect without any dull periods and the writing was so atmospheric I could almost hear the peacocks in the garden with Lillian and trace my finger through the dusty rooms along with Maggie.

The Peacock Summer is definitely for fans of Kate Morton and those who enjoy historical fiction. Highly recommended. I'm just sad it's over.

* Copy courtesy of Hachette Australia * ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Jul 12, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Hannah Richell's book The Peacock Summer is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,572,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible