Scenes from a Childhood by Jon Fosse

Scenes from a Childhood (edition 2018)

by Jon Fosse (Author)

1711,063,597 (4.5)None
Scenes from a Childhood is the latest collection of stories by Jon Fosse, one of Norway's most celebrated authors and playwrights, famed for the minimalist and unsettling quality of his writing. In the title work, a loosely autobiographical narrative covers infancy to awkward adolescence, unearthing the moments of childhood that linger longest in the imagination. In 'And Then My Dog Will Come Back To Me', a haunting and dream-like novella, a dispute between neighbours escalates to an inexorable climax. Taken fromvarious sources, the texts gathered here together for the first time demonstrate that the short story is one of the recurrent modes of Fosse's imagination, and occasions some of his greatest works.… (more)
Member:anicegreenleaf
Title:Scenes from a Childhood
Authors:Jon Fosse (Author)
Info:Fitzcarraldo Editions (2018), Edition: Translation, 160 pages

Work Information

Scenes from a Childhood by Jon Fosse

For some reason, I'd never read Fosse, despite him ticking so many of my personal boxes. This seems to be the ideal introduction, in one sense, since the pieces are quite varied and show that he's a genuinely interesting craftsman, which seems decreasingly common; and despite the generally unvarying mood, there's just enough difference between the pieces emotionally and intellectually to suggest good things there, too. On the other hand, it's probably not an ideal introduction, because this is a bunch of stuff thrown together seemingly at random. I'm not complaining. And the more I think about it, the more these short pieces really stayed with me. ( )
  stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,161,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible