The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (2007)

by Timothy Ferriss

Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan--there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living more and working less, here is the blueprint. This step-by-step guide to luxury lifestyle design teaches: how Tim went from $40,000 per year and 80 hours per week to $40,000 per month and 4 hours per week; how to outsource your life to overseas virtual assistants for $5 per hour and do whatever you want; how blue-chip escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs; how to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist; how to trade a long-haul career for short work bursts and frequent "mini-retirements."--From publisher description.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, ShoshoniPL, FACDEVECU, TomSkiver, pscheyer, bkmreads

English (94)  German (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (103)
student ( )
  Nadia678 | Sep 12, 2022 |
The fishing is best where the fewest go, and the collective insecurity of the world makes it easy for people to hit home runs while everyone else is aiming for base hits. There is just less competition for bigger goals. Doing big things begins with asking for them properly.

Tim Ferris is a wealth of ideas that don't stay anywhere near the proverbial "in the box" thinking. The first third was the best for me, with a lot of reframing of conformist ideas about work and how, when or where to do it. The rest is more for entrepreneurs. Lots of advice on how to start a business on the cheap and travel tips. I highlighted a lot in this book and have started listening to his podcast.

Recommended for: people who want to go beyond the comfort zone, are ambitious and/or want to get out there and live. ( )
  jackieone | Aug 24, 2022 |
Disclaimer: I did not finish this book.

I listened to this as an audiobook and made it about 15% through (Chapter 4, Part 2, Step 1) before I decided it was not worth my attention or time. While the bones of this book have some good messages about how to recognize routines and break out of the mold, I could not stand the packaging or delivery. I felt as if I were a cat and someone had just run through hand backwards through my fur.

I did not like the tone, nor the personality of the author. To me, he came off as ethically questionable, incredibly selfish, and speaking from a place of privilege.

I recommend skipping this book and just reading a summary. ( )
  ArcherKel | Aug 17, 2022 |
I couldn't get past the phrase 'new rich,' so I got little out of this book. Perhaps I will read it again & try to ignore the connotations of an acceptable wealth disparity. ( )
  quavmo | Jun 26, 2022 |
(actlly was inspired to pick up French after this long ago) ( )
  profpenguin | May 3, 2022 |
Forget “follow your dreams.” Ferriss recommends creating intellectual property by searching Writer’s Market for obscure magazines with 15,000-plus circulations whose readers spend money in the same consumer patterns as, say, bass fishermen, then asking the magazines’ advertising directors to e-mail you rate cards while you search back issues for repeat advertisers who sell directly to consumers via 1-800 numbers and Web sites. I’m not kidding. That’s Step 1.

The book's essential premise is that what Ferriss calls the "deferred-life plan" -- the path of working for 40 years to fund a 20-year retirement -- is both escapable and worth escaping.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Motley Fool, John Rosevear (Jul 12, 2007)

Timothy Ferrissprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Donald and Frances Ferriss, who taught a little hellion that marching to a different drummer was a good thing. I love you both and owe you everything.
Is lifestyle design for you?
Just because you are embarrassed to admit that you're still living the consequences of bad decisions made 5, 10, or 20 years ago shouldn't stop you from making good decisions now. If you let pride stop you, you will hate life 5, 10, or 20 years from now for the same reasons. I hate to be wrong and sat in a dead-end trajectory with my own company until I was forced to change directions or face total breakdown -- I know how hard it is.

Now that we're on a level playing field: Pride is stupid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,282,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible