The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (2007)

by Timothy Ferriss

Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan--there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living more and working less, here is the blueprint. This step-by-step guide to luxury lifestyle design teaches: how Tim went from $40,000 per year and 80 hours per week to $40,000 per month and 4 hours per week; how to outsource your life to overseas virtual assistants for $5 per hour and do whatever you want; how blue-chip escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs; how to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist; how to trade a long-haul career for short work bursts and frequent "mini-retirements."--From publisher description.… (more)

English (89)  German (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
I appreciate the premise: How do you do the least amount of work possible? For any developer that's a goal. That's not the goal because then you can take off though - it's so you can get more done. Most of the projects suggested in the book contribute nothing to society, and are usually self serving. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Useful, with reservations.

Ferriss lives a unique life as a part of the New Rich (NR). This book outlines how he made it. The book is part lifestyle advice and part business advice. You can take the book wholesale, if you'd like, but I find the usefulness of the book lies in how many resources he shares and how it clearly shares his ideas.

Ferriss' goal is to be happy, which is reasonable on a human level, but that's not the the point of life. Rather, the point of life is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. His methods, if you follow them blindly will end you in a similar place as Solomon in Ecclesiastes. But if you follow them with wisdom, you will find yourself more effective in your endeavors. ( )
  redeemedronin | Dec 28, 2020 |
Not entirely convinced about this book. It was ok, but again I was put off by the US-centric approach to everything. I think I should stop reading non-fiction books by American authors... :-)

I did get a valuable insight or two from the book though, most notably:
- you don't want to become a millionaire to hat one million sitting at your bank. you want to be a millionaire to live the lifestyle linked with it. and you don't need a million dollar to have just that.
- don't build a company that is as big as possible (while trying to avoid a burn-out). try instead building a company that bothers you the least (while making it provide you with enough income).

Easy read, some good ideas, but many sections I just flipped through... ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
While I didn't like a lot of his business advice, which appears to be "make up a crap product and then seek rent on it for the rest of your life," the rest of this book is great. It feels like a spiritual relative of Sebastian Marshall's Ikigai --- reading this book will have you spending a lot of time pondering "hmm, what kind of life do I really want to live?" The answer for most people I've talked to is "not like this," but the fear gets in the way.

This is a good book about getting over the fear. It's got helpful little exercises for comfort zone expansion, tactics for dealing with bureaucrats, strategies for building prestige, and lots more. And a lot of prompts for trying to figure out what you'd rather be doing, and for figuring out how to get there from here.

The gist of all of it is that people don't really want to be millionaires, they want to have what they assume is the millionaire lifestyle. So computer how much money per day you'd actually need in order to live how you'd like, and then work towards that number. Waiting to live until you're too old to appreciate it is a crap strategy. ( )
  isovector | Dec 13, 2020 |
Be an Eloi, not a Morlock. Let other people do the drudge work (at least, the things that machines can't do yet).

I'm not sure I agree with that hard interpretation of letting go, bit living a good life now rather than waiting for retirement is a good message. You don't have to let go of all work for that, just minimise what you can't do, or what doesn't bring you joy. ( )
  craignicol | Dec 13, 2020 |
Forget “follow your dreams.” Ferriss recommends creating intellectual property by searching Writer’s Market for obscure magazines with 15,000-plus circulations whose readers spend money in the same consumer patterns as, say, bass fishermen, then asking the magazines’ advertising directors to e-mail you rate cards while you search back issues for repeat advertisers who sell directly to consumers via 1-800 numbers and Web sites. I’m not kidding. That’s Step 1.

The book's essential premise is that what Ferriss calls the "deferred-life plan" -- the path of working for 40 years to fund a 20-year retirement -- is both escapable and worth escaping.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Motley Fool, John Rosevear (Jul 12, 2007)

Timothy Ferrissprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Donald and Frances Ferriss, who taught a little hellion that marching to a different drummer was a good thing. I love you both and owe you everything.
Is lifestyle design for you?
Just because you are embarrassed to admit that you're still living the consequences of bad decisions made 5, 10, or 20 years ago shouldn't stop you from making good decisions now. If you let pride stop you, you will hate life 5, 10, or 20 years from now for the same reasons. I hate to be wrong and sat in a dead-end trajectory with my own company until I was forced to change directions or face total breakdown -- I know how hard it is.

Now that we're on a level playing field: Pride is stupid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,627,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible