SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Sweep : the story of a girl and her monster…

Sweep : the story of a girl and her monster (edition 2020)

by Jonathan Auxier

In nineteenth-century England, after her father's disappearance Nan Sparrow, ten, works as a "climbing boy," aiding chimney sweeps, but when her most treasured possessions end up in a fireplace, she unwittingly creates a golem.
Member:MissSherwood
Title:Sweep : the story of a girl and her monster
Authors:Jonathan Auxier
Info:New York : Amulet Books, 2020.

Work Information

Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster by Jonathan Auxier

We are saved by saving others.

A wonderful blend of history, heartbreak, magic and mysticism in Victorian England. It's about a young girl, Nan Sparrow, who is a chimney sweep, indentured to a cruel master, and barely surviving. When she is almost killed while cleaning chimneys in a prestigious girls school, she is saved by a piece of char from her old master. From this warm char, Nan grows a golem, named Charlie. They are hiding from the cruel master, but eventually take a stand for all the sweeps of London, endangering themselves to save others (a recurring theme.) Nan and Charlie are truly unforgettable characters, and the supporting characters, such as Toby, Newt, and the omnipresence of the old master are excellent too. The postscripts by Auxier about child labor reforms and how he combined ideas to form the book are quite interesting. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Sweep
The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
By: Jonathan Auxier

This is a story about a little girl as a chimney sweep. She was with a man who raised her and loved her all her life. Then when she was 6 years old, he just left. She has friends, and enemies. She ended up being a indentured slave practically to a cruel man, along with many others about her age.

The story picks up at age 11 when something happens to cause the special stone the sweep man left for her, along with his hat, that changes her life. It becomes alive. It grows.

It's a very heartwarming story and heartbreaking story. I have to say I shed A few tears in here a couple of times. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 8, 2021 |
Wonderful story, firing on all cylinders, and moving me to tears (and then following up with an almost-as-moving author's afterward). Yes, it's a bit manipulative (want to make your audience weep? Have their characters get married, or die, or achieve their life's ambition, or fail miserably to achieve their life's ambition) but it only works if you have also made your audience fall in love with your characters, and that's the tricky part, which Auxier manages nicely.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
Taking place in Victorian London, this story centers around a young girl, named Nan, and her journey from climber to child labor advocate to regular kid. She accomplishes all of this with the help of her friend, Toby; a kind teacher, Miss Bloom; and her monster, a golem she named Charlie.

The timeline bounces back and forth between memories of the past via Nan’s dreams, and the present. The dreams are apropos for the things currently going on in Nan’s life, and also inform bits of her past with her former master/father-figure, plainly referred to as The Sweep. The growth of her monster also reflects Nan’s own growth throughout the story - from warm lump of char to an intelligent and brave individual who will protect those she cares about.

The story starts out with a little bit of an “Oliver Twist” meets “Little Orphan Annie” feel, but then quickly comes into it’s own as Charlie is born and Nan escapes from her current master, befittingly named Crudd. Then we follow Nan working throughout London trying to make it on her own while simultaneously caring for, and learning about, the creature that saved her. Over time Nan learns that Charlie is her protector, but more importantly he becomes her best friend.

“Sweep” was a 2019 Michigan Library Association YouPer Award Honoree, and it absolutely earned that honor. This book gave me so many feels that I actually cried in several parts! It was so well-written and we’ll-researched, I absolutely recommend this book to readers of all ages. ( )
  H4ppyN3rd | Oct 6, 2020 |
Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.
~ William Shakespeare, Cymbeline;

The imagination is the true fire,
stolen from heaven, to animate
this cold creature of clay.
~ Mary Wollstonecraft
For those who have saved me * Mary, Penelope, Matilda, and Hazel *
There are all sorts of wonderful things a person might see very early in the morning.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jonathan Auxier's book Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,343,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible