De boekwinkel voor gebroken harten by Robert…

De boekwinkel voor gebroken harten (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Robert Hillman (Author)

Can one unlikely bookshop heal two broken souls? "Beautifully written . . . Full of insight into the nature of tragedy, love, and redemption."--Garth Stein "A poignant journey of unthinkable loss, love, and the healing capacity of the written word."--Ellen Keith It is 1968 in rural Australia and lonely Tom Hope can't make heads or tails of Hannah Babel. Newly arrived from Hungary, Hannah is unlike anyone he's ever met--she's passionate, artistic, and fiercely determined to open sleepy Hometown's first bookshop. Despite the fact that Tom has only read only one book in his life, the two soon discover an astonishing spark. Recently abandoned by an unfaithful wife--and still missing her sweet son, Peter--Tom dares to believe that he might make Hannah happy. But Hannah is a haunted woman. Twenty-four years earlier, she had been marched to the gates of Auschwitz. Perfect for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Tattooist of Auschwitz, The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted cherishes the power of love, literature, and forgiveness to transform our lives, and--if we dare allow them--to mend our broken hearts.… (more)
Member:connie53
Title:De boekwinkel voor gebroken harten
Authors:Robert Hillman (Author)
Info:Amsterdam A.W. Bruna Uitgevers © 2019
Collections:2022 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen boeken, 2022 gelezen, FF challenge 2022, Papieren boek, gelezen, Your library
Tags:Roman, WO II, Auschwitz, boeken

Work Information

The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted by Robert Hillman (2018)

Descriptions of the farm and lands were enjoyable.

Unfortunately, except for the wonderful sheepdog, Beau, and Peter, the main characters were hard to connect with,
notably because the plot line for Tom was recursive. His meekness with woman continued to disappoint.

Hebrew translations were cool. ( )
  m.belljackson | Mar 14, 2021 |
Well written with an endearing character in Tom Hope. and a compassionate tale of a Hungarian jewish woman Hannah who lived through Auschwitz and moves a very long way from Budapest and from Auschwitz to Australia..Hannah's bookshop is important because in Berlin they burned 25,000 books, many written by Jews and now in Hometown Australia Hannah's bookshop of the broken hearted will operate for as long as it takes to replace the same amount back in the world. ( )
  Smits | Feb 10, 2021 |
If you want a book that puts depression and a cloud over everything then The Bookshop of the Brokenhearted is for you. This novel has a disjointed and dark ebb and flow, falling back into time of World War II, focusing mostly on the Auschwitz death camp, where Hannah and her Jewish family were forced to go, and leaping forward to 'modern' times of Australia in the 1960's, and the tragic and simple life of Tom and his sheep farm. Back and forth the reader goes, between past and present, through both Tom and Hannah's eyes.

Though both Tom and Hannah each deal with their own unimaginable horrors, I found it hard to connect with either of them. Peter, the sweet little boy that endures the unthinkable with his unstable mother, is who captured my heart, and spurred me on to continue to give this book a chance. Honestly, without him, I most likely would've added this to my DNF list. Peter's plight was truly gut-wrenching, and I found myself praying for him, wishing he didn't have to endure such pain.

Darkness shrouds the narrative, and I didn't feel like the story had a good rhythm. The constant tossing of the narration between Tom, Hannah, and Peter was at times confusing, and the writing was lacking in some areas, but the descriptions of the settings were piercing, transforming my minds eye to this unique farmland.

A warning: there are adult themes, and descriptions of unfavorable acts, like sex and physical abuse, but thankfully they are not too graphic, leaving much to the imagination.

I truly believe if I could've connected more with the characters I believe I would've enjoyed The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted more. This is truly a dark and heartbreaking read that was a struggle for me, no matter how much I tried to connect.

*I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book which I received from the publisher through NetGalley. All views and opinions are completely honest, and my own. ( )
1 vote cflores0420 | Dec 28, 2020 |
A lonely Australian farm connects with a older survivor of the Holocaust and is starting a bookstore in a small rural community. Well written. ( )
  addunn3 | Dec 19, 2020 |
3.5***

In 1968 in rural Australia, Tom Hope runs his farm, milks his cows, tends his sheep and tries to find a new purpose in his life after his wife, Trudy, left him and took her son, Peter, with her. Then he meets Hannah Babel, a survivor of Auschwitz and some 15 years his senior, who hires him to build bookcases for her new bookshop.

Hannah seems to have recovered from her ordeal during WW2, but she is far from having healed. Her fierce determination and passion for her work hide a deep wound that she refuses to reveal or discuss. Tom is the quintessential good guy. He took Trudy back after she left the first time, and did not condemn or even question her for returning pregnant. And when she left a second time to join a religious community, he raised Peter as his own. He is truly heart-broken when several years later, Trudy demands that the boy come live with her and sever all ties with Tom.

In a way these Tom and Hannah have both lost a child and should be able to understand and comfort one another. But it isn’t quite so easy as that.

I really liked how Hillman drew these broken-hearted people, how he revealed their pain and their efforts to heal and move forward. Yet, I wasn’t sure I understood Hannah all that well. Her story is compelling, but I felt I didn’t fully get to know her. Trudy is even more of an enigma. I never knew why she did anything … from marrying Tom to leaving him the first time to her final desperate act.

Tom’s stoicism and approach to his life (just continuing to move forward despite what happens) are admirable, but make him a bit stand-offish. And yet, the way he treats the boy lets me see the goodness of his heart. I loved Peter … what a great kid! Intelligent and observant, determined and brave. My heart ached for him as he endured.

All told, it was a good story and kept my attention. But I think Hillman might have been trying to include too much. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 30, 2020 |
For Ida
She didn't stay long as far as marriages go, just a year and ten months.

Tom Hope doesn’t think he’s much of a farmer, but he’s doing his best. He can’t have been much of a husband to Trudy, either, judging by her sudden departure. It’s only when she returns, pregnant to someone else, that he discovers his surprising talent as a father. So when Trudy finds Jesus and takes little Peter away with her to join the holy rollers, Tom’s heart breaks all over again.

Enter Hannah Babel, quixotic smalltown bookseller: the second Jew—and the most vivid person—Tom has ever met. He dares to believe they could make each other happy.

But it is 1968: twenty-four years since Hannah and her own little boy arrived at Auschwitz. Tom Hope is taking on a batttle with heartbreak he can barely even begin to imagine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,858,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible