A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid…

A Curse So Dark and Lonely (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Brigid Kemmerer (Author)

3282052,429 (4.22)2
Eighteen for the three hundred twenty-seventh time, Prince Rhen despairs of breaking the curse that turns him into a beast at the end of each day until feisty Harper enters his life.
Member:xhollishx
Title:A Curse So Dark and Lonely
Authors:Brigid Kemmerer (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury YA (2019), 496 pages
Collections:Read 2019
Rating:*****
Tags:ya, retelling

A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (2019)

Recently added byDakotaS, kpetz, Detrick, Critteranne666, TraceyLaviolette, rena75, private library, doyoudogear

I adore Beauty and the Beast so when I heard that this book was a retelling (or reimagining) of that story I was really excited (and a little apprehensive) about reading it. What Brigid Kemmerer did with this story was so unique and amazing. I fell in love with all the characters and I was engrossed in the story from page one. I don't read a lot of YA but I wanted to give this one a chance because of the premise of the book and I am so glad I did. Kemmerer is genius! I am really looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  Detrick | Oct 20, 2019 |
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

A Curse so Dark and Lonely completely consumed me once I started reading it! I kept telling myself it was late, and that I needed to go to sleep, but I just could not put this book down. Rhen and Harper were both trapped in tragic circumstances, and I felt compelled to continue reading until I knew how their story ended. It was devastating and beautiful, but also entirely believable.

I loved Kemmerer's spin on Beauty and the Best, and thought Harper was fierce and wonderful. She's stubborn and strong, and she's willing to risk her life to save others. I don't think she ever thought of herself, because she was constantly trying to find a way back to her sick mother and troubled brother. Even after spending time with Rhen, Grey, and the people of Emberfall, she was unwilling to leave them if there was a possibility she could help save their lives. Her struggles were realistic, and she didn't accept her new surroundings without a fight.

I don't typically like love triangles, and I'm not saying this has one, but there's an opportunity for one to occur. Honestly, I wanted Harper to end up loving both guys and spending her life living with both. I know that sounds really weird, but they both had qualities I admire, and I think they would have been happy in a three-person relationship.

I also like that Harper has cerebral palsy. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the author's reminders, I would have completely forgotten about it. Her condition doesn't define her or affect what she's capable of. She's willing and determined to try new things, and she accepts herself exactly the way she is. Lilith called her broken, but I never saw her that way. She rides horses, runs from potential kidnappers, tries to save a women she doesn't know, and risks her life for a world that she's not a part of. I think Harper is a character that will inspire readers to be better versions of themselves.

"They believe her limp is the result of a war injury, but Harper is quick to correct them. 'I was born this way,' she'll snap, 'and I'm going to die this way, so teach me to work around it.' They love her for it."

Rhen mentions being a douchebag prior to the curse (and even a little at the start), but we also see how he's changed over the many seasons he's had to live through it. He's learned to care about his people, and he worries about their safety and whether or not they trust him to be in a leadership position. He's been physically and mentally tortured, and still tries to protect those around him. I didn't love everything about Rhen, but I understood him and his actions.

Grey was mysterious and unintentionally charming. His words and movements are very calculated, and he manages to say a lot with very few words. He's loyal to a fault, and his loyalty has cost him a lot over the years. I was unsure about him at first (when he retrieves Harper), but he quickly gained my trust and respect. I'm curious what his role will be in the next book!

A Curse so Dark and Lonely may be a retelling, but Kemmerer easily made it her own. I loved her twists on the original story, and I'm happy she chose to include the surrounding kingdom and not just the cursed castle. It added an interesting and unique perspective! Harper and Rhen couldn't sit around and worry about themselves, because they had to work together to save his kingdom from an invasion. Truthfully, it was probably better for their relationship.

I really, really loved this one! This book wrapped up nicely, but definitely left room for more.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on January 28, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on January 28, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 10, 2019 |
“I’m not going to fall in love with you,” she says. Her words are not a surprise. I sign.
“You won’t be the first.”
I’m so happy I finally read this because I loved it. The land of Emberfall is plagued by a monster. Prince Rhen is cursed to repeat the Autumn of his 18th year until the spell can be broken, but when Harper becomes introduced to this world Rhen realizes breaking the curse might not be enough to save his people, and Harper has more to loose than she lets on.

Things I Liked
I absolutely loved the urban fantasy element. It was SUPER small, but I liked it all the same. The fact that Harper’s from our world and has a fish out of water experience, is always enjoyable to me.

Harper and Greys’s friendship warmed my heart. I loved it from the first second and I was so happy that they got to spend so much time together. Grey is a teddy bear and I would do anything for him.

I knew what I was getting into with the romance in the story, but knowing detracted nothing from my enjoyment. I was in the mood for a fantasy story with a lot of romance and this fit the bill perfectly.

I really liked the ending of the story. We still have some questions and nothing is tied up all neat and tidy, but I like what we got, and am eager to read book 2.

Things I Didn’t Like
The worldbuilding could have been better, I would have liked to know more about Emberfall and the surrounding countries.

I wanted a fantasy story that I could just fall into, and A Curse so Dark and Lonely was the perfect choice. This Beauty and the Beast inspired story was exactly what I wanted it to be and it delivered a great story with wonderful characters and an addicting budding romance
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Oct 9, 2019 |
I loved this book! It's one of the best Beauty and the Beast retellings. I loved our main heroine. She's not helpless, she's strong and opinionated and I love it! Our two main male players are great, as well. I loved Rhen and all his issues. He's a hard egg to crack, but he's still an amazing characters. This is one of those books that you read and feel connected to the story and characters. It was a pretty long book, but I didn't mind at all and once I was close to the end I was sad! Great story! ( )
  xhollishx | Oct 9, 2019 |
To my new family at Stone Forge CrossFit

Thank you for showing me how much stronger I could be.
There is blood under my fingernails.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,943,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible