Tom's Midnight Garden: A Graphic Adaptation…

Tom's Midnight Garden: A Graphic Adaptation

by Philippa Pearce, Édith

Real Rating: 3.75* of five

I confess I remember the novel this comic book...sorry, graphic adaptation...is based on very poorly. It was something I read from the Leona Doss Elementary School diary in 1970 or so. It was sold to me as a time-travel story, so I was down...then I read it and it was all soppy and sweet. Yuck.

So now that I'm fifty years older, what did I think of the read? It's fine. I'm less averse to soppiness and sentiment. I'm not all that enamoured of Edith's illustrations, to be frank. They're pleasant, that's really the best thing I can find to say about them.

That's pretty typical. I'm not blown away.

So reading a comic book (standard disclaimer) still isn't the go-to amusement for me. It's fine, I'm not sorry I reacquainted myself with the story and honestly it's probably all to the good that I didn't re-attempt the original. The days ahead number ever fewer and spending them pursuing middling memories of moderately unhappy times? No thanks. Y'all go on ahead into this wooded area of fancy-schmancy comics, I'll be back here on the croquet lawn of tree books or up yonder at the entertainment center of ebooks. ( )
  richardderus | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is an excellent adaptation of a middle grade book I used to love to read to our kids. Tom's Midnight Garden is the story of young Tom, who is forced to stay at relatives' when his brother Peter get the measles. Boredom turns to wonder when the grandfather clock strikes 13, and Tom goes out the back door, to find a wonderful garden that doesn't exist during the day. Has he time-traveled? While he comes upon children and adults, they can't see him - until a girl his age named Hatty does. They become fast friends and playmates, although time seems to run differently for the two of them. The original book won the Carnegie, and this adaptation is well-done, with the reader drawn into the enchantment of the garden and Tom's friendship with Hatty. The true story of each happily comes to him at the end. ( )
  jnwelch | Jan 21, 2019 |

Pearce, Philippaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Édithmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A beautiful adaptation of the classic novel. Renowned graphic novel artist, Edith, has created an enchanting version of the classic Tom's Midnight Garden. This is a new and special way to read and share one of the best-loved and most enduring children's stories of all time. A story with a special place in the hearts of grandparents, parents, and children everywhere, this wonderful graphic novel adaptation is faithful, accessible, and stunningly illustrated. Ages 9+… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible