A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)…

A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) (original 1993; edition 1998)

by Francine Rivers

Series: Mark of the Lion (1)

The holy city of Jerusalem has fallen. By the mercy of God, Hadassah, a young Christian girl survives famine, the deaths of her entire family, and unspeakable atrocities. And in Germania, a heroic young chieftain named Atretes battles the Romans with unmatched fury. It is prophesied tha Atretes will drive the Romans from his lands, and someday meet a dark complexioned woman from an exotic land whom he will come to love.… (more)
Member:trishn
Title:A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)
Authors:Francine Rivers
Info:Tyndale House Publishers, Paperback, 520 pages

Work Information

A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers (1993)

Pirates of the Heart (Treasures of the Caribbean #1) by Jim Kraus (tbranam)
    Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: It is BEYOND HILARIOUS how much Francine Rivers ripped off from Quo Vadis. I mean really, and Quo Vadis wasn't all the great. She should have ripped off some stuff from Ben-Hur.

Oh, this book…it’s torn me apart and put me back together again so many times I couldn’t even count them. I’ve wanted to rage at Rivers…why, oh WHY must she make her characters go through some things? But then when I come to my senses again, I realize that it’s very realistic, and that’s when the gravity strikes me—again—that there are lessons here that would hold true in my own life as well. Wow.

Historically speaking, this book is spot-on from everything else I’ve read. Rome was an evil, evil place, and though Rivers doesn’t go into the sordid detail of it all, you know that wrong things are happening (so yes, content warning there—it almost, but didn’t quite, cross my comfortable line, but just be warned in case prostitution and things like that bother you). But seeing the good parts come to life—wow. God really does preserve His church through all kinds of things, and for that, I’m grateful!

Characters, setting, theme…all were well-done, immersing me in the story and making it quite difficult to get things done some days because I just wanted to read more! Rivers is a talented author.

Prepare to be challenged and encouraged. This is, in the end, a hopeful, deeply redemptive story…or at least, I trust it will be that way by the time I get to the end of the series. ;) I’m still mulling over several themes from this story, and expect that will continue for quite a while.

Recommended for adults: I don’t believe some content would be suitable for teenagers. ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Jan 21, 2022 |
1 ( )
  ejmw | Aug 4, 2021 |
Mark of the Lion Trilogy:

One of my all-time favourites by my all-time favourite author!

Christian historical fiction series with wonderfully-written characters and insights into the early church and the time period immediately following the lives of Jesus and the apostles.

Hadassah is a Jewish Christian slave girl serving the Valerian family, struggling with her desire to share her faith and her fear of persecution in a world where every belief system is tolerated except that which refuses to worship the Roman emperor as a god. Her gentle spirit and willingness to serve set her apart from the other slaves in the household, and the family soon takes notice as each of their lives are eventually transformed by the Presence she carries with her.

Atretes is a German warrior, captured by Roman soldiers and taken from his home to fight in the arena for the entertainment of the Roman mob. His path and those of the other characters meet at crucial intersections before diverging at the end of the first book.

A Voice in the Wind tells the first half of the story, as seeds are planted and each life is touched by those surrounding them.

An Echo in the Darkness follows each member of the Valerian family as Hadassah’s influence continues to take hold of their hearts in the aftermath of tragedy.

As Sure as the Dawn takes Atretes on a quest to return to his homeland and reclaim the life that was taken from him, but not in the way he expects.

This is one (3) that I recommend to anyone and everyone! They are truly amazing books, the characters are relatable and the historical details are well-integrated and immersive. If you’re a fan of character development, these books are pure gold! A reminder that anyone can be an instrument in spreading the gospel, and absolutely no one is beyond the reach of Christ’s love and redemption! ( )
  vvbooklady | May 16, 2021 |
Good character development, good story which brought out a lot of attachment to the characters. A level of depth was missing but I cannot put my finger on what I felt was missing. On to the second book in the series. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
I just loved Hadassah. She was just such an intriguing character. ( )
  niennaalfirin | Jul 30, 2020 |

Rivers, Francineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book
is dedicated with love to my mother,
F R I E D A   K I N G,
who is a true example
of a humble servant.
J E R U S A L E M

The city was silently bloating in the hot sun, rotting like the thousands of bodies that lay where they had fallen in street battles.

Rome comes alive in this tale of Jewish Christian slave girl Hadassah. Her story encourages readers to represent Christ in their world.
Spanish available

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,350,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible