Hark! The Herald Angels Scream by…

Hark! The Herald Angels Scream

by Christopher Golden

Other authors: Kelley Armstrong (Contributor), Elizabeth Hand (Contributor), Michael Koryta (Contributor), Sarah Langan (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor)12 more, Tim Lebbon (Contributor), Sarah Lotz (Contributor), Jonathan Maberry (Contributor), Josh Malerman (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), John M. McIlveen (Contributor), James A. Moore (Contributor), Sarah Pinborough (Contributor), Angela Slatter (Contributor), Scott Smith (Contributor), Thomas E. Sniegoski (Contributor), Jeff Strand (Contributor)

That there is darkness at the heart of the Yuletide season should not surprise. Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is filled with scenes that are unsettling. Marley untying the bandage that holds his jaws together. The hideous children--Want and Ignorance--beneath the robe of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. The heavy ledgers Marley drags by his chains. In the finest versions of this story, the best parts are the terrifying parts. Bestselling author and editor Christopher Golden shares his love for Christmas horror stories with this anthology of all-new short fiction from some of the most talented and original writers of horror today.… (more)

I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This book was a bit of a mixed bag for me. None of the stories really stood out for me and the ‘Holiday’ theme felt kind of tacked on for a few of the tales. An okay read but nothing great. ( )
  Arkrayder | Feb 11, 2019 |
I definitely grabbed this new short story anthology edited by Christopher Golden because one, 'tis the season, and two, that cover. As with most collections, I found this one to be a mixed bag, with some amazingly horrifying tales, others that were enjoyable but far too predictable, and a few that were downright awful. Top stories include not one, but three tales of revenge (It's a Wonderful Knife, Honor Thy Mother and The Hangman's Bride), and one story that will leave your jaw on the floor (Christmas in Barcelona). Much deserved shout outs also go to Hiking Through and Snakes's Tail, both of which were well written and deliciously spooky.

ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2019/01/01/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-december-2018... ( )
  yrchmonger | Jan 1, 2019 |
It is never too early to start reading Christmas books, and this Christmas/horror book of short stories is GREAT. There are the traditional short scary stories (ghosts, vengeful spirits) set on Christmas Eve but the real treat are the stories of horrible Christmas things - have you heard of mummers? Go ahead, google it, I'll wait. Yikes. I've also picked up a few new horror authors I have not read before - Angela Slatter, John McIlveen, Scott Smith, Kelley Armstrong (and Sarah Pinborough whom I did not realize wrote scary books before her last thriller [that I was not particularly fond of] but who I'll revisit after reading her here). As soon as this is available, you should probably just read it. In fact, just pre-order it now - you are going to love it. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Sep 7, 2018 |
What a Christmas treasure trove this is for lovers of dark words. A sparkling assortment of some of the best contemporary horror writers have joyfully turned the silly season into the sinister season. Each story is distinct in its own character. As with all anthologies, some stories will grab you more than others, but the variety assures that there's something for everyone. The perfect antidote for the saccharine sweetness of yuletide.
I received my copy through NetGalley. My review is my honest opinion. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Aug 19, 2018 |

Slatter, AngelaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sniegoski, Thomas E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strand, JeffContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,520,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible