The Beekeeper's Promise (2018)

by Fiona Valpy

Heartbroken and hoping for a new start, Abi Howes takes a summer job in rural France at the Château Bellevue. The old château echoes with voices from the past, and soon Abi finds herself drawn to one remarkable woman's story, a story that could change the course of her summer--and her life. In 1938, Eliane Martin tends beehives in the garden of the beautiful Château Bellevue. In its shadow she meets Mathieu Dubosq and falls in love for the first time, daring to hope that a happy future awaits. But France's eastern border is darkening under the clouds of war, and history has other plans for Eliane... When she is separated from Mathieu in the chaos of German occupation, Eliane makes the dangerous decision to join the Resistance and fight for France's liberty. But with no end to the war in sight, her loyalty to Mathieu is severely tested. From the bestselling author of Sea of Memories comes the story of two remarkable women, generations apart, who must use adversity to their advantage and find the resilience deep within.… (more)

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
just so so ( )
  phillygal47 | Jul 11, 2021 |
WW II France. Germans, French resistance, heroine alternate with contemporary troubled English girl spending time in same historic area of France. Good story. ( )
  bereanna | Nov 30, 2020 |
Well written. Perhaps a little too flowery for my taste, but others may not mind. ( )
  WilliamMcClain | Jun 9, 2020 |
Two stories, but only one told with emotion while the other fell flat and monotone

The story about WWII France was beautiful and the performance of those portions flowed well. The characters were written with dialogue and actions that that gave them emotions and a fullness to their beings instead of just supporting lines for what the protagonist was going on about. I fully enjoyed the varying accents and intonations for different characters in these parts of the book.

The story about Abby took a bit long to develop and still felt lacking. Even though the character states that she is going to (vague reference here so as not to spoil) tie things up in the end, there are some questions left unanswered for the reader about from events at the beginning of the book. I felt Abby's story was told in a bland tone the entire time, except for only a few moments toward the end. I started dreading going back to her portion of the story because of the performer's switch to a dull and bleary description of everything with few supporting characters using their voices enough to change the feel of the mood.

I wouldn't have read/finished reading this book had I started it in hard copy or ebook format. The beginning chapters piqued my interest in Abby but at the same time the WWII story was just a sappy love story that I didn't feel like reading.

I am not an Audible or audiobook regular. It's hard for me to concentrate if the narrator doesn't match the voice I hear when I think of the story. This pairing was a perfect match! I enjoyed Ms Meire's soft and smooth voice. She was comforting in parts where the history was frightening. I would listen to more books read by this narrator. ( )
  Shannon.Allen | Aug 24, 2019 |
I love historical fiction. This book had everything a great novel about WWII should have. I could not put it down. I was wrapped up in the characters and the historical period. I found out more information about the time, the place, and the resilience and resistance of the people during that tragic time. The prose brings one into the story in ways that a lesser writer could not. ( )
  khoyt | Jul 7, 2019 |

Heartbroken and hoping for a new start, Abi Howes takes a summer job in rural France at the Chateau Bellevue. The old chateau echoes with voices from the past, and soon Abi finds herself drawn to one remarkable woman's story, a story that could change the course of her summer - and her life. In 1938, Eliane Martin tends beehives in the garden of the beautiful Chateau Bellevue. In its shadow she meets Mathieu Dubosq and falls in love for the first time, daring to hope that a happy future awaits. But France's eastern border is darkening under the clouds of war, and history has other plans for Eliane. When she is separated from Mathieu in the chaos of German occupation, Eliane makes the dangerous decision to join the Resistance and fight for France's liberty. But with no end to the war in sight, her loyalty to Mathieu is severely tested.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,314,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible