Kingdom of Ash and Soot (Book 1) by C.S.…

Kingdom of Ash and Soot (Book 1)

by C.S. Johnson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Its a Cinderella story come to life but set in Prague and with two princes interested in her. It was way too long and predictable. Hopefully the next book will be better ( )
  ijayjasmine | Dec 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kingdom has very similarities compared to cinderella, enough for it to be considered a retelling — Ella working as a servant in her own home after her father passes, dancing amongst the elite, things like that. I was intrigued by the time period and the setting of the book. Prague 1870! Combine this with a secret organisation and deadly plots and you'll have Kingdom of Ash and Soot.

In the end i felt like there wasn’t nearly as much action as I wanted. I wasn’t sucked into Eleanora’s world, and I just… felt like it was a very long introduction instead of an actual story. I just wanted more development before anything happened!

On a side note, Johnson’s writing was really good and well constructed! I was also a fan of the romance. It was easy, simple and in sync with the rest of the story.

Considering this, I am excited to see where book 2 takes Eleanora, though! So, 4 stars. ( )
  Satune | Nov 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kingdom of Ash and Soot takes place in Prague during the 19th century. It follows the life of Eleanora, whose father just died and grandmother from the House of Wellington comes home from England to preside over her entrance into the court and society. And maybe disrupt a murderous conspiracy while she's at it. The son of the king has the hots for her, while her attention is grabbed by what appears to be a well-connected street urchin encountered during a visit to Prague.

I suppose this story want to be a period romance first and foremost. The whole idea of ladies of the court being involved in a murder investigation (and not presumably as law enforcement) is a little far-fetched, more so that amateurs are able to overcome a deeper conspiracy.

Aside from the trappings of monarchy, the period or local flavor in the story is very slight. I had a motivating interest to read this book as some of my ancestors came from there around the time this book is set; but I didn't get a sense of place or time. The love story is rather predictable. That this is "Book 1" suggests a series might be forthcoming, but the characters were not interesting enough nor was there any loose ends I care to see wrapped up. ( )
  JeffV | Oct 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
History, politics, assassins, spies and Cinderella with a brother.
The politics and a few conversations that went around in circles, slowed the pace but it is an intriguing tale.
I didn't love the body shaming from Eleanora's stepmother or the overt attempt at getting Elanora to use her sexuality against people, that clearly made Eleanora uncomfortable, from her grandmother.
I did enjoy Eleanora and Ben learning to be spies, and that their relationship as brother and sister felt natural. It wasn't perfect, as seen in their vastly different opinions of their departed father.
Eleanor and her love interest, Ferdy, seemed like a mismatched pair. It read like he thought he was above her, entitled to her affection and love in a way. It didn't feel right. He was quick to leap to jealousy and they didn't connect enough beyond friends.
The premise of the book is sound and could survive without the romance element.
The plot slowed after the beginning until the Grandmother arrived, things picked up almost too quickly and slowed again but things did get interesting. Grandmother's do tend to rock the boat with a flourish.
The 'surprise' at the end was a little predictable given the lead up to it.
It could use a little polishing, but a good YA read if you like re-imagined fairy tales with a twist. ( )
  Tina_Evans | Oct 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the book enough to want to read the next one. I'll admit though, that part of that is due to the cliffhanger ending.

It is a cinderella retelling in a somewhat modern more political setting. I was expecting something with magic and fantasy but it is more action, history and politics. ( )
  missmimsy | Sep 29, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

C.S. Johnson's book Kingdom of Ash and Soot is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

C.S. Johnson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,769,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible