The Devil's Thief

by Lisa Maxwell

Series: The Last Magician (2)

In this spellbinding sequel to the New York Times bestselling The Last Magician, Esta and Harte set off on a cross-country chase through time to steal back the elemental stones they need to save the future of magic. Hunt the Stones. Beware the Thief. Avenge the Past. Esta's parents were murdered. Her life was stolen. And everything she knew about magic was a lie. She thought the Book of Mysteries held the key to freeing the Mageus from the Order's grasp, but the danger within its pages was greater than she ever imagined. Now the Book's furious power lives inside Harte. If he can't control it, it will rip apart the world to get its revenge, and it will use Esta to do it. To bind the power, Esta and Harte must track down four elemental stones scattered across the continent. But the world outside the city is like nothing they expected. There are Mageus beyond the Brink not willing to live in the shadows--and the Order isn't alone in its mission to crush them. In St. Louis, the extravagant World's Fair hides the first stone, but an old enemy is out for revenge and a new enemy is emerging. And back in New York, Viola and Jianyu must defeat a traitor in a city on the verge of chaos. As past and future collide, time is running out to rewrite history--even for a time-traveling thief.… (more)

hb
  5083mitzi | Mar 13, 2021 |
WoW. Just wow. I have heard Lisa Maxwell state that this book kicked her butt when she wrote this, and now I see why. With the twist and turns and con after con. If you do not pay attentoon, you will get lost. However, I'd you do pay attention, you will thoroughly enjoy this extension to the first book. U now understand why she said she couldn't make this into a duology. I really loved this book, and that's not because my favorite character had a major role, Viola.
Fantastic job , Mrs. Maxwell. ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
The DevilÛªs Thief was one of my most anticipated books of 2018. I read the previous book in the series on a whim last year and ended up loving it. When I had the opportunity to get this book on NetGalley I didn‰Ûªt hesitate despite the hefty page count.

Even though I loved The Last Magician, it did take me a few chapters to remember what was going on with the characters. This book picks up right where the last one ended, I just couldn't remember exactly how the last one ended. I think it is so much easier to binge read a series that has already been released.

The Devil‰Ûªs Thief includes all of the elements I love in books magic, fantasy, time-travel, and history. I really enjoyed the character development in this book, especially Esta. There were also themes of social justice, class, and oppression. This story is told from multiple POV's, but it was not difficult for me to discern what was going on. There were a few times that I was trying to distinguish between the past and the present, but it wasn‰Ûªt too difficult.

It is still interesting to me that she incorporated history in a fantasy series thus combining two of my favorite genres. At the very end, she talks about the research she did on the historical aspect of the story.

This book is definitely long, but the chapters are very short and it moved at a good pace. This made it the perfect book for all the rainy days we have been having here recently.

If you like fantasy try this one! ( )
  wordswithrach | May 2, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

It is not often that someone comes along

who is a true friend and a good writer.

—E. B. White
To Olivia and Danielle
The Thief turned her back on the city—on everything she had once been and on all the lies she had once believed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,168,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible