What in the World Is Wrong with Gisbert? by…

What in the World Is Wrong with Gisbert?

by Jochen Weeber

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lovely book about what bullying/unkind words can do to a child. Whenever Gilbert is teased at school, he feels as if he is shrinking but he can't seem to quite put a finger on why he feels the way he does. It isn't until he opens up to his family that he feels "taller" or like his regular self again. While I love the message that children should always feel empowered to talk to an adult, the lack of consequences for those bullying Gilbert was unfortunate. A good first step in a classroom conversation about being an ally but perhaps not the only book to share with children on the topic. ( )
  jbarry | Sep 30, 2018 |
A strong moral.
I shared this book with my three year old granddaughter, who was probably just at the lower end of the age group that it is intended for. She enjoyed the beautiful illustrations and listened intently to the story, but she has yet to start nursery and fully understand the message behind this book.

Older children will understand about hurtful comments; some will have been on the receiving end, some will have thoughtlessly hurt others. I feel strongly that learning about the damage that such comments cause, at a young age, will guide many to be more considerate. Those on the receiving end are encouraged by the book to share the hurt with parents or teachers - a problem shared is a problem halved.

This would make a great book for classroom discussion and also for children to borrow and take home to share with parents. A valuable addition to any children's library. ( )
  DubaiReader | Aug 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent read for children to understand how words have an affect on others. Gisbert the giraffe begins to feel smaller and smaller with every negative word spoken to him. He doesn't understand why but he feels as though he is shrinking. The visual concept of feeling small on the inside while your appearance on the outside remains the same was a wonderful way to help children understand bullying. The author also delivers a message of how you can make others feel great about themselves by words and acts of kindness. Both very important messages in our current world. I would recommend this book for children between the ages of 3-10. Although it references Gisbert being in kindergarten, this would be a wonderful book for pre-school to elementary teachers to use in their classrooms.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.* ( )
  coastandanchor | Aug 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An entertaining book for kids that teaches the impact words can have on us. Some good lessons here for kids and fun illustrations! Recommend for anyone trying to help their child understand bullying and it's affects on others. ( )
  ckmetzger | Aug 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What an awesome book! It is fun and effective in showing how to be sensitive to your own feelings and the feelings of others. After each page I was thinking, "yeah, that's really good." And I was completely rooting for Gisbert to find comfort and understanding. Gotta have this book in your home library. ( )
  Vaughnso | Aug 7, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jochen Weeber's book What In the World Is Wrong with Gisbert? is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible