The Grandmother Paradox (Place in Time Book…

The Grandmother Paradox (Place in Time Book 2) (edition 2018)

by Wendy Nikel (Author)

Member:Nicole_Russell
Title:The Grandmother Paradox (Place in Time Book 2)
Authors:Wendy Nikel (Author)
Info:World Weaver Press (2018), 113 pages
Collections:Fiction, Kindle, Books, Your library

The Grandmother Paradox by Wendy Nikel

Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both time travel books with a fresh and fun style and likeable characters

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a bit difficult for me to review. It's an intriguing premise, and I enjoy a good time travel story as much as the next nerd, but this one fell flat for me. Much of the story seemed rather formulaic, and the characters were fairly flatly drawn. I actually felt that this book was a step down from the previous story, which I felt had more originality and a more interesting plot. I do need to add a caveat: my reception of this book is inevitably colored by the authors choice to write in first person present throughout the book. I dislike the use of first person present as anything other than a tool used in a brief passage to provide immediacy to the description of a crucial moment or situation. I find its use as a writing style off-putting. If that bothers you as well, you probably won't particularly enjoy this book. If you don't mind first person present, and are in the mood for a light-hearted time travel story, this may be the book for you. ( )
  jcaleblittle | Sep 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting and entertaining second book to the series. I was more caught up in the first of the series, The Continuum, and this one keeps a good pace with well-thought out and enjoyable differences. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  mmargironsidemcgean | Sep 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a placeholder review for THE GRANDMOTHER PARADOX, Place in Time Book #2, by Wendy Nikel, sequel to THE CONTINUUM, Place in Time Book #. Do not consider it a completed review until I assign a star rating.
  Wordwizardw | Sep 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In this sequel to The Continuum, Elise's great-great-grandmother, Juliette, is in trouble. Because it would be too dangerous for Elise to meet her direct ancestor, Dr. Wells asks Chandler to travel back to 1893 to protect Juliette from harm. Juliette is a magician's assistant in a traveling show in the Midwest, and Chandler has to convince the show's owner to take him on as a hired hand.

I didn't like this characters in this sequel quite as well as those in The Continuum. I had hoped it would continue Elise's story. It did, but without Elise's participation. On the other hand, I like time travel into the past better than time travel into the future, so I enjoyed the setting more. The Chicago World's Fair provides the backdrop for the climactic scenes.

It's best not to think too deeply about the logic of time travel. Dr. Wells tells Chandler that “it's important...that Retrievers not cross paths with their direct ancestors.” Yet Dr. Wells later reveals that Elise had gone back into the past and became his grandmother. How is this any different from a Retriever crossing paths with a direct ancestor?

Like the first book in the series, this book has a cliff-hanger ending. I look forward to finding out how things turn out for Elise, Chandler, Juliette, and Dr. Wells.

This review is based on a complimentary electronic copy provided by the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think I liked the first book a little bit better, but this is still a pretty compelling sequel. It picks up shortly after Continuum and gives us a better look at Dr. Wells and Agent Chandler as well as introducing Elise's grandmother, who is definitely a fun character. I think it would have been better if it was a bit longer because the whole thing felt kind of rushed, but overall it was a fun story and I'm definitely interested to see where it goes from here because they kind of backed themselves into a corner with that ending. Still, a well done time travel story is hard to pull off and I can find no major flaws here. ( )
  devannm | Jul 14, 2018 |
Nikel provides a wonderfully detailed snapshot of life in the late 19th century, replete with colorful side characters and historical nuggets that bring the scenes to life.

Packed with action, drama, comedy and final revelations, Nikel’s new chapter is an extraordinary continuation of her time travel universe.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Wendy Nikel's book The Grandmother Paradox is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Wendy Nikel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,555,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible