Educator's Quick Reference Guide to…

Educator's Quick Reference Guide to Differentiation (edition 2018)

by Laurie Westphal (Author)

542,110,446 (3.75)None
Member:Jeanomario
Title:Educator's Quick Reference Guide to Differentiation
Authors:Laurie Westphal (Author)
Info:Prufrock Press (2018), Edition: Tch, 8 pages

Educator's Quick Reference Guide to Differentiation by Laurie Westphal

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Educator's Quick Reference Guide is exactly that: quick. It is not meant to replace professional knowledge of differentiation, but to use as a quick planning guide for already experienced teachers. It would be good for teams of teachers that plan together to have one of these available to throw some ideas out during a PLC. I would be concerned that a beginning teacher would think this was enough to get by with during planning. It is far, far from that. ( )
  Tasses | Jun 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Educator's Quick Reference Guide includes 8 pages of the some of the high points of differentiation. After a brief overview of what differentiation is, there are 8 specific strategies briefly outlined by explaining the benefits of each strategy, how to implement each and ideas for "making it your own." The guide includes thorough references for each section and strategy. Ms. Westphal has referenced many of the "gurus" of differentiation in this guide, including Carol Tomlinson, who is my personal favorite in this field. This guide would be beneficial for teachers who are already knowledgeable about differentiation. It definitely cannot replace professional development and doesn't include the depth necessary to implement differentiation with fidelity. As a proponent of differentiation, I think this $13 guide is well worth keeping on your desk if you are an educator and need a gentle reminder to strive to meet the varied needs of your students and to jump start some ideas for differentiated lesson planning. ( )
  catfan69 | Jun 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Educator's Quick Reference Guide to Differentiation is a short 8 page booklet with descriptions of benefits, design and implementation of each differentiation model. There are 8 different forms of differentiation an educator can use, and the author includes how to make that particular differentiation model your own. I work as a school media specialist, and find myself using the "Curriculum Compacting" the most while teaching. I personally think this guide is more for a classroom or resource room teacher than a special area teacher; which I am considered in my school. This guide is perfect for that new teacher just starting out in the classroom. It is quick to use, so keeping it in a place for easy access would be beneficial to the educator as well to the students. ( )
  Shannon_Lee_Brown | Jun 16, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Glossy, 8-page booklet, with charts, graphics, bullet points, long words and acronyms. I am a teacher, going on toward 40 years in the profession, and this kind of "discovery" makes me smile and nod. We keep looking for ways to legitimize teaching, our profession. We seek more effective ways to reach students, more innovative ways to reach administrators, and more rationalization to reach ourselves. Nothing that Ms. Westphal purports in this document is wrong; it's all just been spun many times, many ways. ( )
  Jeanomario | Jun 6, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie Westphal's book Educator's Quick Reference Guide to Differentiation was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie Westphal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,449,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible