Run Wild by David Covell

Run Wild (edition 2018)

by David Covell (Author)

A celebration of the joy of being outdoors features a child who abandons his digital device in favor of joining a friend outside.
Member:deannalowe
Title:Run Wild
Authors:David Covell (Author)
Info:Viking Books for Young Readers (2018), 40 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:k-3, explore, outdoors, exploration, friends, adventure

Run Wild by David Covell

I think this is a great book to encourage kids to get outside and explore. These days, young children are surrounded completely by technology. I think the purpose of this book is to remind children that there is so much to explore and learn beyond what is indoors. ( )
  deannalowe | Dec 6, 2019 |
The title and cover drew me to this book, as I ran wild growing up on Long Island in the fifties. The book conveys the sensory experience well. Wild abandon too. The words are poetry. He doesn't make it all idyllic, you will scrape your knee, fall off your bike, whatever. But you get back up and just run wild. ( )
  geraldinefm | Jun 18, 2018 |
Author/illustrator David Covell offers a poetic tribute to the joy of running wild through the outdoors in this, the third picture-book he has produced. Minimal but poetic text - "Hey, You, Sky's blue! (forget your shoes) OPEN that door and... Sprout, you're out!" - is paired with bold illustrations, which look to be done in watercolor. From exploring the cool darkness of the forest to experiencing the hot sand at the shore, there are many pleasures to encounter in this lovely summer-time idyll...

Run Wild is my first book from Covell, and struck me as a particularly personal work, one influenced by its creator's own boyhood days in the wild of Maine. The text is interesting, in that it employs rhyme in an irregular way, but it was the artwork here that was the chief appeal for me. It has a wild, unstructured feeling, and is full of a sense of movement that works very well with the narrative. Recommended to anyone looking for new picture-books about the joy of getting out into the outdoors, especially during the summer. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 5, 2018 |

"Hey, you! Sky's blue!" a girl shouts as she runs by the window of a boy bent over his digital device. Intrigued, the boy runs out after her, leaving his shoes (and phone) behind, and into a world of sunshine, dewey grass, and warm sand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,610,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible