Leaving Time (with bonus novella Larger Than Life)

by Jodi Picoult

"Alice Metcalf was a devoted mother, loving wife, and accomplished scientist who studied grief among elephants. Yet it's been a decade since she disappeared under mysterious circumstances, leaving behind her small daughter, husband, and the animals to which she devoted her life. All signs point to abandonment . . . or worse. Still Jenna--now thirteen years old and truly orphaned by a father maddened by grief--steadfastly refuses to believe in her mother's desertion. So she decides to approach the two people who might still be able to help her find Alice: a disgraced psychic named Serenity Jones, and Virgil Stanhope, the cynical detective who first investigated her mother's disappearance and the death of one of her mother's co-workers. Together these three lonely souls will discover truths destined to forever change their lives. Deeply moving and suspenseful, Leaving Time is a radiant exploration of the enduring love between mothers and daughters"--… (more)

This was the first Picoult book I read so I didn't know what to expect. It was chosen for our library book club to read. I liked the pacing and the story line for the most part. I did not like all the info about elephants and felt at times I was reading a nonfiction book. I also don't believe in psychics or that mumbo-jumbo, or ghosts except the Holy Ghost. I would not have finished it if it hadn't been for book club. ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
Well... About that ending...
Enjoyable enough. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
This book was recommended to me by a friend... after skimming the reviews, I was not sure what I was getting in to, but I started reading anyway. I am so glad that I ignored the bad reviews. This book was surprising, fast-paced, and rich with interesting little stories-within-the-story. There was nothing predictable about it, and characters are beautifully developed. Leaving Time is well worth the read. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Mar 22, 2018 |
In terms of character secrets and plot twists, this book is so characteristic Jodi Picoult. However, in terms of development and types of characters this book was not what I would have expected. I found this book riveting. I was unable to put it down, at first because I really really love elephants, and later because I really needed to know what happened to the people who cared for them so much. There were elements of the ending that I saw coming at various points of the book, but I was never convinced until the end. And remarkably, as many Jodi Picoult books as I have read, there was still one part of the ending I never would have guessed in a million years. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
I hated this book but loved every minute of it! I was so duped by the twist. I mean, I knew there was SOMETHING, but not all of THAT! It was an amazing read that I never wanted to put down and was so disappointed that it was over. Piccoult never fails to keep me literally engrossed with every turn of the page. ( )
  rsalley76 | Mar 13, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,134,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible