Hippie by Paulo Coelho

Hippie (edition 2019)

by Paulo Coelho (Author)

From South America to Holland to Nepal--a new journey in the company of Paulo Coelho, bestselling author of The Alchemist.   Drawing on the rich experience of his own life, bestselling author Paulo Coelho takes us back in time to relive the dreams of a generation that longed for peace. In Hippie, he tells the story of Paulo, a young, skinny Brazilian man with a goatee and long, flowing hair, who dreams of becoming a writer, and Karla, a Dutch woman in her twenties who has been waiting to find a companion to accompany her on the fabled hippie trail to Nepal. After meeting each other in Amsterdam, she convinces Paulo to join her on a trip aboard the Magic Bus that travels from Amsterdam to Istanbul and across Central Asia to Kathmandu. As they embark on this journey together, Paulo and Karla explore a love affair that awakens them on every level and leads to choices and decisions that will set the course for their lives thereafter.… (more)
Member:AditiSantosh
Title:Hippie
Authors:Paulo Coelho (Author)
Info:Vintage (2019), Edition: Reprint, Translation, 304 pages

Work Information

Hippie by Paulo Coelho

To Read (496)

English (7)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (11)
The problem with Coelho is that he breaks the golden rule of writing - show, don't tell. All he does is tell, tell, tell, never truly showing me how he or his characters feel. Hippie greatly suffers from this problem. There are some interesting anecdotes spread throughout the narrative, but they're buried under piles and piles of "telling" me about his perspective, his experiences, the world, and his characters' emotions.

It's a quick read though, so that's good. The part where he's arrested and tortured in South America is clearly the best part. His travel through Europe falls flat, and the Turkish segment just feels forced.

I was expecting an exciting travelog from a hippie's perspective. All I got was a confused man and his slightly boring travels through Europe. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
cool not as good as the alchemist but epic. heroin story was scary ( )
  ncharlt1 | Oct 11, 2020 |
I love philosophy. I believe my first attempt at college which was terribly disappointing for my parents and a disaster for me(!) I received my only A in an introduction to Philosophy class taught by a professor from India. And this small tome served up ample portions of thought provoking questions regarding self, religion, and time. I loved it. Want to read again. ( )
  Alphawoman | Nov 1, 2019 |
Great book. Autobiographical - a brief period of his life as a young man.I enjoyed this as much as any of his previous work. ( )
  bolero | Jun 4, 2019 |
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Hippie is the autobiography by Paulo Coelho, written in third person. This is a story about people that travel the world, wear funny clothes and flowers in their hairs, and believe in peace, love and freedom.

I have read many of Coelho’s books, even since I was a teenage girl. And all of them share something in common – the path of finding yourself. After reading Hippie, I believe that this is the the best one that covers this subject quite perfectly.

‘’He was a human being, with all the fragility that entails, he didn’t understand everything that happened in his life, but he truly wished to believe he was travelling in search of the light.’’

The book is a story of two people, Paulo and Karla. Paulo, a Brazilian guy, searching for freedom and travels. Karla, a lady born and living in Amsterdam, wanting to find herself so badly in the world. When she hears that a hippie bus is going all the way to Nepal, she is willing to go if she meets her ideal companion.

‘’She wished they could see her for her beauty, but all anyone ever saw was the hurricane, and they never sought shelter from it. They preferred to flee to safer ground.’’

Their adventure begins in such an adorable way, only hippies can relate to. Their search for what they want and need feeds with every stop and every destination. A beautiful story about friendship, love and travel.

I actually wished that they had spoken more about the travels and less about some individual stories that didn’t quite correlate to the plot. I also wished that they actually reached out the final destination the way they are supposed to (this was not a spoiler).

‘’Our travels teach us everything we need to know for the rest of our lives, as long as there’s no need to explain this to our parents.’’

Even though a sad end, it is a realistic story about a way of life before, where people loved to be free, and were free to find love, in a world of peace, love, marijuana and travels. A place where no one cares what you look like.

Right now, hippies are a normal thing, people that we all secretly enjoy reading about, and listening to their stories, but in the past, these people fought so hard to change the system of how people’s minds worked, the system people were stuck in, to make people realise that they have the freedom to believe in anything they think is right, to do anything that makes them happy, to be happy, and share this with the world. To live in a world full of happiness, love, peace, to travel and see places, discover places and people, see new cultures, explore people’s minds and customs.

‘’The sun had come out, as though to say that finally the Renaissance was making a return, to change everyone’s habits and customs – and one day very soon, people would no longer depend on the opinions of others but rather on their own ways of seeing life.’’

The one thing that I couldn’t enjoy was the constant religion mentioning in this book. All religions were mentioned, and with such intensity, that peace and love and freedom and the hippie meaning started to be in relation to religion, which is something I personally don’t want to put together. I am aware that lots of hippies believe in God in their own way, but I also think that love and peace should gather them together as a group, not religion. And this point was clearly states a lot of times throughout the book. Not enjoyable, at least for me.

For all of you out there, the hippies, the ordinary people that love travelling, love, life, happiness, music – this is a book for you. Another amazing Paulo Coelho novel, full of wisdom and quotes to underline.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,934,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible