The Colors of All the Cattle: No. 1 Ladies'…

by Alexander McCall Smith (Author)

Member:Clara53
Title:The Colors of All the Cattle: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (19) (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith (Author)
Info:Pantheon (2018), 240 pages
Tags:human drama

The Colors of All the Cattle: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (19) (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series) by Alexander McCall Smith

For whatever reason, the voice in this entry seems to have changed from previous books. There is less of the gentle humor and wry take on human nature than I remember but it is still a pleasant read. I enjoyed the emerging maturity of a favorite character and the moral lesson that everybody deserves a second chance. Or 'however many chances are necessary' as Mma Ramotswe so wisely attests. ( )
  wandaly | Dec 8, 2018 |
There is nothing outrageously phenomenal in McCall Smith's books. But then why do they (this one included!) always leave you with a clean, positive, good feeling about everything in this world? This installment of "No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" was one of the best ones so far. What can you say against this little unrefined gem: "... sometimes the best thing we could do was simply muddle through, getting some things right but also getting many things wrong"?.. or: "Because hate makes you very tired"?... Truisms, yes, but in a very honorable meaning of this word. ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Dec 6, 2018 |
Book nineteen and I have loved them all. It's impossible to believe that at this moment Mma Precious Ramotswe is not in Botswana dispensing her gentle wisdom. In the latest installment Mma uses her best persuasive skills to get a reluctant Mma Raotswe to run for a city council in order to stop a hotel from being built next to a graveyard. A second plot involves an old family friend asking for Mma Ramotswe help in solving a hit and run in which he was the victim.

The plot was not as compelling as some of the other earlier books but I still loved my visit to Botswana. One thing I love about McCall's writing is that he really develops the characters so that they and change and grow. I really enjoyed the way Charlie has matured and the development of his love life in this book. Another thing I love about the books is that you can't help feeling kinder after reading one. Mma Ramotswe has such a gentle and loving approach to life that you feel better just by reading the story. I take a bit of life wisdom away with me every time I read one of McCall's books. This is one of my favorite series. ( )
  arielfl | Nov 30, 2018 |
The Colors of All the Cattle - McCall Smith
Audio performance by Lisette Lecat
3 stars

An antidote for United States election agony, to be taken with several cups of Trader Joe’s Rooibos & Honeybush Tea.

It’s election time in Gaborone. Violet Sephotho is the only candidate running for an open city council seat. THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN. Mma Potokwani is on a mission to stop the construction of The Big Fun Hotel right next to the cemetery. (So disrespectful to the late people. So contrary to the old Botswana morality). Mma Ramotswe is not interested in a political career. Mma Potokwani says that it is her duty. We all know how that will end.

There seemed to be more turmoil in this book, a bit more of an edgy message from the author. But, not too much of an edge. This is very much a fictional Botswana. I wonder just what the actual residents of the real Gaborone think of this white man’s rendition of their country and their culture. I find it restful. Even this book which ramped up the real world tension a tiny bit, was still hopeful and peaceful at the end. ( )
  msjudy | Nov 21, 2018 |
Sit back and relax with a cup of tea and the 19th installment of the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. The same familiar cast of characters are here: Mma Potokwane has bullied Precious into running for town council, there is an unsolved hit and run to investigate, and Charlie is maturing. And the Talking shoes make a cameo appearance. ( )
  vkmarco | Oct 3, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,838,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible