Not the Duke's Darling

by Elizabeth Hoyt

Series: Greycourt (1)

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Maiden Lane series comes the first book in a new series that "marries her irresistibly witty writing style with an intrigue-steeped plot,"(Booklist) perfect for fans of Tessa Dare and Eloisa James. Freya de Moray is many things: a member of the secret order of Wise Women, the daughter of disgraced nobility, and a chaperone living under an assumed name. What she is not is forgiving. So when the Duke of Harlowe, the man who destroyed her brother and led to the downfall of her family, appears at the country house party she's attending, she does what any Wise Woman would do: she starts planning her revenge. Christopher Renshaw, the Duke of Harlowe, is being blackmailed. Intent on keeping his secrets safe, he agrees to attend a house party where he will put an end to this coercion once and for all. Until he recognizes Freya, masquerading among the party revelers, and realizes his troubles have just begun. Freya knows all about his sins-sins he'd much rather forget. But she's also fiery, bold, and sensuous-a temptation he can't resist. When it becomes clear Freya is in grave danger, he'll risk everything to keep her safe. But first, he will have to earn Freya's trust...by whatever means necessary. Features the bonus novella Patience for Christmas from New York Times bestselling author Grace Burrowes!… (more)

3.5 stars rounded up. I just enjoy reading Hoyt's stories. I would have liked a little more connection between the couple, but it wasn't too shabby. It seems like 90% of her stories end with one or both of the couple deciding to part ways for a (usually) weak reason, then one or both of them is nearly killed, and they decide they can't live without each other. It's not horrid, but I wish she would mix it up a bit. Also, I don't really care for the notion that perhaps, without the freak near death experience, they might have just continued on being dumb believing they couldn't/shouldn't be together! Overcome the hurdles people! =D This one was especially exasperating, because the 'realization of true feelings nearly too late' moment wasn't even the final hurdle after all! It felt like a fake-out, and even more like 'really? Even *then* you're going to hold stubbornly beyond all reason??' *sigh* Also, the plot hinges on the heroine's unusual background, but we otherwise hardly see her use the skills she would have gained from it. It has a pretty high steam level. I look forward to her next book. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Elizabeth Hoyt's latest historical romance is reminiscent of the best of her Maiden Lane series, but with a feminist bent. Hoyt's heroines have always been the intellectual equal of her heroes, but in this, the hero takes a backseat as the Freya works to solve a mystery and save women on both an individual basis and on a political basis.

Freya is a member of a secret order called the Wise Women, a group dedicated to helping other women. They've often been called witches. The group is about to go into hiding, because of a law being proposed in parliament that would make witch hunting legal and encouraged. Freya's goal is to discredit the Lord sponsoring the bill. Meanwhile, she's been in hiding as a lady's companion for years, living under an assumed name and pretending not to be the daughter and sister of a Duke.

The book opens with Freya and another Wise Woman running through the streets with a Lady and her baby, trying to get the baby and mother to safety. They come upon a carriage and jump in. Of course it's our hero, the Duke of Harlowe. Freya immediately recognizes him, though it's been years since they've seen each other.

When she was a child, Christopher (Harlowe), her brother, and another man (Julian) were involved in the death of a young woman named Aurelia. Aurelia and Freya's brother were trying to elope, but everyone thinks he murdered her. (This is classic Hoyt. Who killed who and when and how?) So Aurelia's family had the brother beaten badly... then his hand had to be amputated and he's not been seen outside of the ducal estate in years and years. (I sense a future book.)

Hoyt throws everyone together at a house party. Freya is there because the estate borders that of the terrible Lord sponsoring the witchhunting bill. Harlowe is there because he's being blackmailed by a sh*tbag named Plimpton who has letters written by Harlowe's dead wife. And Freya's cousin (Aurelia's sister) is there because of course she is.

This is a high drama story, with a sizeable cast and a mystery that goes right up till the end. But Hoyt pulls it off. The story doesn't sag, doesn't get confusing, and the romance is tender and hot and heartbreaking at once.

One of my favorite lines in the novel is this:

"She'd lived so many years alone and independent, perhaps it was too late to revert to what the rest of the world considered normal."

Beyond all of the bananapants plot going on is Freya's very real struggle to decide how much of herself to give in a romantic relationship. In a time when women have no legal rights once married, is there any benefit to marrying, even for love? As a woman who works to defend women from their terrible (usually man-made) circumstances, how can she reconcile herself to falling in love with a man? It's a story that's both timely and timeless.

Clearly, I enjoyed the book and I'm eager for the series to continue. What comes next is a series of content warnings, because Hoyt's books are usually packed full of stuff that can be uncomfortable for readers.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Content Warnings:

- Harlowe is exiled to India after the whole thing with Aurelia (The Greycourt Scandal). He's not responsible for her death, of course, but his mere presence that night is enough to have his father force him into an arranged marriage and ship him off to India to work with the East India Company. The references to India are handled sensitively (as far as I could tell), with Harlowe mentioning that the Company is/was horrible and that they were doing things no one in Britain would have stood for. HOWEVER, there was a bad scene in Calcutta, when he and his wife and 70 other people were shoved into one prison cell and his wife was basically smothered to death. We eventually find out that his wife was mentally disabled and that he and she were never physically intimate. THEN we find out that Plimpton, the man who has the letters from Sophie and is blackmailing Harlowe, seduced her so he could get her money and jewelry etc. So Plimpton is a Grade A P.O.S.

- Harlowe has PTSD from the jail cell and it comes up several times over the course of the book.

- Later on, there's a mention of a wife who was murdered by her husband, but we find out that she's actually been imprisoned for a YEAR. Then Freya and Aurelia's cousin are shackled in the cellar alongside her and nearly killed. Harlowe ends up killing the Bad Guy, so CW for imprisonment and murder.

- None of the kissing is expressly nonconsensual, but there is one scene in which Freya kisses Harlowe so that she can bite the shit out of his mouth and steal her brother's ring off his finger.

Suzanne received a copy of this book from the publisher for review. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Not The Duke’s Darling is the first book in the latest series from Elizabeth Hoyt. I have to admit I don’t know why it took me so long to read this book, I have been such a fan of this author for so many years, and I have adored the way she has grown in her writing (although I still say her earlier books are pure gold) and even though I was very curious about this series I wasn’t quite sure that I wanted to try this out because of all the mixed reviews of this one. I was actually disappointed it didn’t receive a more positive feedback but finally I saw this available at my library and knew that I needed to grab it up and yeah this audio took almost a week to forge through. Quite frankly I wasn’t sure that I wanted to stick with this one. I struggled so much with wanting to listen to it. Now at first I found the story highly engaging but man this heroine was a struggle for me to like at all. Which is probably why it took so long to get this listened to.

Not The Duke’s Darling is a story of a young woman, Freya, who is on the run in the efforts to save an innocent child and return her to her mother. And is saved by Christopher, the Duke of Harlowe. Christopher is a man that Freya once considered a childhood friend but then blames him for what happened to her brother and his downfall. Now Freya is part of the “Wise Women” which is a group of women residing in Scotland in efforts to keep a bill from passing in England’s parliament about burning and witches. Freya is determined to do whatever it takes to keep that from happening despite the distraction that Christopher is to her, but life tends to get complicated when you least expect it.

I will say that while there were some pivotal plot points that I had a blast with, I really struggled with this story. It had its entertaining value at some points, but quite frankly, the heroine was very prickly and bitter at times and that aspect just really turned me off from the story. She is a character that I wanted to really like but I just couldn’t in many ways. It was highly disappointing though because in the beginning of the book you are highly intrigued by her drive and passion but it just flames out quickly and I just couldn’t like her even in the end.

The romance was quite interesting, I did find that part enjoyable especially in Christopher’s part, in just seeing the good parts of her. I really admired him as the hero of the story, he tends to not get turned off by her frosty exterior that is meant to push him away. I liked that he didn’t let that deter him and never gives up on Freya and what they have together. He just has a solid character and was gold for me and to be honest he is the reason the rating of this book isn’t lower. He really makes up for the negative feelings I had on this story.

Overall, despite some issues I had with the story, I found The Duke’s Darling to be an interesting beginning to the series, it has a unique take on culture and society and some plot twists that leaves you wanting to know more. ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 16, 2021 |
Freya de Moray has grown up understanding that the male dominated world is not necessarily the only way to run things. As a member of the Wise Women, she grew up in Scotland knowing that women are just as strong and powerful as men and that they can work together to make life better for each other. Unfortunately some outsiders believe the Wise Women are witches and a new act headed to Parliament is about to make witch hunting and witch trials legal again. Unless Freya can find leverage against the Lord sponsoring the act, she and her community will be at risk. As a result she heads to a house party in northern England to try and learn more. At the same party is Christopher Renshaw, the Duke of Harlowe a man Freya has detested since her teens for the role he played in a scandal that traumatized three families including Freya's own. But as Christopher and Freya clash, the sparks fly and these two strong-willed individuals will have to discover whether a relationship is even possible.

A new series from Elizabeth Hoyt and I am so here for it! This first entry is fantastically well-executed with strong characters, a compelling plot, and, of course, swoonworthy romance. There's also a strong feminist thread in here that feels both contemporary and historically relevant. In addition, Hoyt sets up a lot of intriguing points to explore further including the Greycourt tragedy (for which the series is named) and the exploits of the Wise Women. Excellent Georgian historical romance that I can't recommend enough. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 23, 2019 |
Not The Duke's Darling, by Elizabeth Hoyt, was published in December 2018. The first book in a new series, Greycourt. Three friends, one horrible incident, actions have consequences. I'm on the fence about this book. It's deffinately Ms Hoyt's work, she deals with action plots very well but somehow this story fell short. I suppose the secret Wise Women society plot was a little too far fetched. It would have been nice if such a group existed but sadly not. Freya de Moray is a likeable character until she's not. Back and forth with her. She's strong, capable, intelligent, should be a perfect alpha female character. Her blind anger and lust for vengence is sharp and deep. It's long lasting but quick to go away.

Christopher Renshaw is one of those characters that unexpectedly came into a title, Duke of Harlow, and has to struggle to keep up. He has employees to help but he's thrown in the deep end & survives. He's a nice man but geeze, he's beating himself up through the entire book. His enlightenment comes too quick & completely for me to find it believable. I'm torn about him too.

I do love Ms Hoyt's work and hope the next book has characters I can become invested in and root for. I received an Arc of this book from the author. Happy reading.

#NotTheDuke'sDarling #GreycourtSeries #ElizabethHoyt #historicalromance ( )
  FDarlene491 | Nov 9, 2019 |

Elizabeth Hoytprimary authorall editionscalculated
McNab, AshfordReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HachettePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For every woman who works day in and day out, who takes care of family and friends and community, who sometimes despairs late at night but then gets up in the morning and does it all again anyway.
You are strong and brave and beautiful and this book is for you.
Had someone asked Freya Stewart de Moray at the age of twelve what she expected to be doing fifteen years later, she would've listed three things.

New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Hoyt brings us the first book in her sexy and sensual Greycourt Series!

Christopher Renshaw, the Duke of Harlowe, is being blackmailed. Intent on keeping his secrets safe, he agrees to attend a house party where he will put an end to this coercion once and for all. Until he recognizes Freya, masquerading amongst the party revelers, and realizes his troubles have just begun. Freya knows all about his sins—sins he'd much rather forget. But she's also fiery, bold, and sensuous—a temptation he can't resist. When it becomes clear Freya is in grave danger, he'll risk everything to keep her safe. But first, Harlowe will have to earn Freya's trust-by whatever means necessary.

Features a bonus novella from New York Times bestselling author Grace Burrowes!

Elizabeth Hoyt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,519,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible