Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s…

Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age (edition 2020)

by Mary Pipher (Author)

New York Times Bestseller *USA Today Bestseller *Los Angeles Times Bestseller *Publishers Weekly Bestseller The instantNew York Times bestseller from the author ofReviving Ophelia--a guide to wisdom, authenticity, and bliss for women as they age. Women growing older contend with ageism, misogyny, and loss. Yet as Mary Pipher shows, most older women are deeply happy and filled with gratitude for the gifts of life. Their struggles help them grow into the authentic, empathetic, and wise people they have always wanted to be. InWomen Rowing North, Pipher offers a timely examination of the cultural and developmental issues women face as they age. Drawing on her own experience as daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, caregiver, clinical psychologist, and cultural anthropologist, she explores ways women can cultivate resilient responses to the challenges they face. "If we can keep our wits about us, think clearly, and manage our emotions skillfully," Pipher writes, "we will experience a joyous time of our lives. If we have planned carefully and packed properly, if we have good maps and guides, the journey can be transcendent."… (more)
Member:maddonna
Title:Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age
Authors:Mary Pipher (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing (2020), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages

Work Information

Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age by Mary Pipher

I read and enjoyed Piper’s 1994 book "Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls", so, being of a certain age, I thought this new book might be interesting.

Pipher is a clinical psychologist and cultural anthropologist who specializes in developmental psychology and trauma. Here, being of a certain age herself, she turns her attention to women growing old. She covers all manner of joys and indignities that come with this stage of life and offers wise words and practical strategies, often through anecdotes from, and examples of, other women.

I enjoyed Pipher’s clear-eyed assessment of 'old age". Many of the strategies she suggests are practical and worth learning or being reminded of. But, as I read deeper into the book, I started to tire of what seemed like excessive anecdotes, and Pipher’s constant "can-do" attitude—the book seemed a lot longer than its 251 pages. I think I would have been much happier with a book half as long. However, that now confessed, I would still heartily recommend this book for many women coming into this stage of life. It would make a good gift with a nice bottle of wine and a pedometer. ( )
  avaland | Nov 29, 2020 |
This is aging 101 for readers in their 40s or 50s. We didn't care about the "characters" or case studies as they were shallow vignettes, glossed over with a dose of positivity and "faith." The title infers a promise and quality the contents can't keep. ( )
  Bibliofemmes | Nov 2, 2020 |

In Women Rowing North, Pipher offers a timely examination of the cultural and developmental issues women face as they age. Drawing on her own experience as daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, caregiver, clinical psychologist, and cultural anthropologist, she explores ways women can cultivate resilient responses to the challenges they face. "If we can keep our wits about us, think clearly, and manage our emotions skillfully," Pipher writes, "we will experience a joyous time of our lives. If we have planned carefully and packed properly, if we have good maps and guides, the journey can be transcendent." ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 22, 2020 |
Pipher "offers a timely examination of the cultural and developmental issues women face as they age. Drawing on her own experience as daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, caregiver, clinical psychologist, and cultural anthropologist, she explores ways women can cultivate resilient responses to the challenges they face. 'If we can keep our wits about us, think clearly, and manage our emotions skillfully,' Pipher writes, 'we will experience a joyous time of our lives. If we have planned carefully and packed properly, if we have good maps and guides, the journey can be transcendent' " (front flap)
Enjoyed the most: her upbeat tone, albeit unrealistic at times, and her interesting examples drawn from the lives of fellow women "travelers" (to follow her motif): her patients, her family members, close friends. With chapters about loneliness and solitude, making intentional choices, and building a good day, I admit -while trite at times, with gentle advice/aphorisms repeatedly introduced- it did give me some comfort during a very difficult spring/summer. However, as mentioned above, it was the repetition of some of the same observations, over and over again, that finally made me put it down for a long period of time, and then dip into occasionally until I finally forced myself through the closing pages this weekend. During life's horrific difficulties, I think godly faith may do more than her own choices for "transcendent meaning"- but her belief in the powers of nature's beauty & examples for life were a good reminder: beauty and eternal values can be seen not just in the relationships/people we love, but in all the world around us. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 11, 2019 |
I wandered slowly through this book about aging. I highlighted more than I usually do in a book, but not because what I read was particularly insightful. It was more that it was recognizable. The author puts pen to paper about the very real challenges of current day females, i.e. baby boomers moving through the aging process. Sometimes her work as a therapist is front and center, other times her Buddhist faith is the focus, neither of these are spoken, just obvious to the reader the derivation of her observations. I would recommend this to anyone facing or nearing retirement. There are no solutions here, just observations which can help set expectations. ( )
  beebeereads | Sep 8, 2019 |
To all the women who have traveled with me along the river
[Introduction] "Women Rowing North" is about specfic issues women face as we transition from middle age to old age.
There are many lifetimes in a lifetime.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,961,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible