Being the Change: Lessons and Strategies to Teach Social Comprehension

by Sara K. Ahmed

Education. Nonfiction. HTML:

Topics such as race, gender, politics, religion, and sexuality are part of our students' lives, yet when these subjects are brought up at school teachers often struggle with how to respond. How do we create learning conditions where kids can ask the questions they want to ask, muddle through how to say the things they are thinking, and have tough conversations? How can we be proactive and take steps to engaging in the types of conversations where risk is high but the payoff could be even greater?

Being the Change is based on the idea that people can develop skills and habits to serve them in the comprehension of social issues. Sara K. Ahmed identifies and unpacks the skills of social comprehension, providing teachers with tools and activities that help students make sense of themselves and the world as they navigate relevant topics in today's society.

"Each chapter includes clear, transferrable lessons and practical strategies that help students learn about a targeted social comprehension concept. From exploring identity and diversity to understanding and addressing biases and microaggressions, Sara demonstrates how to address real issues honestly in the classroom while honoring and empowering students.

Dealing with social issues is uncomfortable and often messy, but you can build habitats of trust where kids and adults can make their thinking visible and cultivate empathy; where expression, identity, and social literacy matter. There is no magic formula for making the world a better place. It happens in the moments we embrace discomfort and have candid conversations.

… (more)

I recommend this book for all teachers. This book provides many different strategies to help teach social comprehension I think inside the classroom and out as well. For as we know, there are never too many strategies to help students be better and learn better, so this book is very helpful. ( )
  Kfisher037 | Apr 20, 2024 |
This is a simple but important book about how to start teaching social comprehension. It offers some very doable scripted ways to start something that, without the script, could be really scary for some teachers. It includes ideas such as identity webs, universe of obligation, my news, how to start talking about bias, the difference between intent and impact and how to be a compassionate observer of the world. I recommend this for my teacher colleagues. ( )
  JRlibrary | Aug 15, 2018 |

Education. Nonfiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,785,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible