No Fixed Address by Susin Nielsen

No Fixed Address (edition 2020)

by Susin Nielsen (Author)

Twelve-year-old Felix's appearance on a television game show reveals that he and his mother have been homeless for a while, but also restores some of his faith in other people.
Member:DDRoland
Title:No Fixed Address
Authors:Susin Nielsen (Author)
Info:Yearling (2020), 288 pages

No Fixed Address by Susin Nielsen

Following the death of his grandmother and some untenable interim arrangements with his mother Astrid's boyfriend and another friend, Felix and Astrid find themselves living in a Westphalia camper van, because Vancouver is expensive. Astrid has some psychological issues, and cannot keep a steady job either, but she manages to get Felix into a prestigious school, using some guile. Felix is embarrassed about his living situation, which puts pressure on his relationship with his school friends. His main love is trivia, and he enters a junior version of a national Canadian game show with the hopes that the grand prize will allow them to find a real home. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
diverse older middlegrade/teen fiction (tri-racial 13 y.o. and his single mom deal with homelessness in Vancouver - allusions to sexual situations).

Funny, heartfelt, empathy-building story about a sweet boy and his friends/family. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Everything is going to be OK as soon as Felix wins $$ on his favorite tv gameshow. But in the meantime he is living in a VW Van with his mom who is having challenges holding down a job.

This is actually a sweet & funny story even as it is portraying poverty & homelessness - & how quickly a family can fall off the grid.

I was also happy to see the portrayal of a single mom by choice having a donor kid with the help of a good gay male friend. ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |
Living in instant fear like Felix is hard, especially when you've done nothing to deserve it. But you can't leave the life and certainly not your mother. Speaking of, I hate hate hate Astrid but I love the book. It's about lies and integrity, it's about despair and it is about Felix's hopes and dreams and his struggle for them.
Reading this is a delight and Felix is the beacon of hope for me. I wish I could be as strong and positive as him at hard times. ( )
  KLHtet | Jun 17, 2020 |
I was thrilled to discover that Susan Nielsen had a new book coming out. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything she has written so far. This is a story that both broke my heart and renewed my faith in people. A young boy is living in a van with his mum and trying to cope with every day life. ( )
  MaryBrigidTurner | Apr 22, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susin Nielsen's book No Fixed Address was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Susin Nielsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,281,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible