Perfect Dead

by Jackie Baldwin

Series: DI Frank Farrell (2)

1111,547,948 (4)None
Sometimes perfection is worth killing for... The second gripping crime novel in an exciting new series. Ex-priest DI Frank Farrell finds himself on the trail of a vicious killer in rural Scotland. Perfect for fans of Stuart MacBride, James Oswald and Val McDermid. Each murder brings him one step closer to the perfect death. Ex-priest DI Farrell is called on to investigate a gruesome death in rural Scotland. All evidence points to suicide, except for one loose end: every light in the cottage was switched off. Why would he kill himself in the dark? The question sparks a murder investigation that leads to the mysterious Ivy House, home of 'The Collective', a sinister commune of artists who will do anything to keep their twisted secrets hidden. And when the remains of a young girl are uncovered on a barren stretch of coastline, Farrell realises that there is something rotten in this tight-knit community. Now he must track down a ruthless killer before another person dies, this time much closer to home...… (more)

DI Frank Farrell is an ex-priest. He is pretty much a hermit but works quite hard at his job, especially in this new case, that of trying to stop a vicious killer in a town in Scotland. Is there a such thing as a perfect death? Obviously, the killer has that very intent in mind. Well, the first murder in this case is that of an apparent suicide. However, there is a powerful clue that shows otherwise. Farrell and his team are led to the mysterious Ivy House, a commune of artists holding onto warped secrets. Another murder takes case, thus ramping up their investigation.

This is my first book by Jackie Baldwin, but this is the second in the DI Frank Farrell series. This was an engaging read. Even though Farrell is damaged, he definitely grew on me. So did members of his team. I found myself invested in their stories. Although I haven't read the first book in this terrific series, I felt that I understood Farrell, his angst and what drives him. I am a romantic at heart, and kept hoping for him to find a love interest. Maybe as the series progresses? Since I will definitely be reading Book 3 in this series, at some point before then I will most certainly take time to read the first book. Ms. Baldwin is relatively new on the scene, but she has excellent talent that I look forward to reading in the future.

Many thanks to Harper Impulse and Killer Reads and to NetGalley for this ARC to review.

Date of publication: June 15, 2018 ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,171,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible