What Is the Truth?: A Farmyard Fable for the…

What Is the Truth?: A Farmyard Fable for the Young (edition 1986)

by Ted Hughes, R. J. Lloyd (Illustrator)

702386,045 (3)None
In a combination of prose and poetry, God reveals the meaning of truth to His Son as together they visit a farm on Earth.
Member:erh83pt2
Title:What Is the Truth?: A Farmyard Fable for the Young
Authors:Ted Hughes
Other authors:R. J. Lloyd (Illustrator)
Info:Faber Children's Books (1986), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 128 pages

Work Information

What is the Truth? by Ted Hughes

Normally I'm a huge fan of Ted Hughes, especially when he's exploring mythology, but this book was particularly strange. That it wass allegedy a narrative rather than a group of thematic poetry definitely threw me, but mostly I disliked the over the top extended metaphor of a group of country folk attempting to explain the Truth to God and Jesus through farm animals. They're a common enough motif for religious literature, but I'm surprised that hughes would stoop to this - even for a child audience. I didn't find most of the poetry particularly engaging, nor are the observances about the animals particularly clever or unique. At least now I know to steer clear of Hughes' work for children! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
A bunch of people speak (in verse) to God and his son about animals. These people (all rural folk) are asleep at the time and so probably don't remember the experience upon waking. None of these folk, however, manage to speak the fundamental Truth about the animals that God wants his son to learn - so he has to explain it himself in the end. Those villagers might not have known, but various others from different cultures around the world seem aware of it!

The poems here, being aimed at children, are not difficult but they do as a whole show the hallmarks of their author and I think the book might be a good way to enthuse kids about modern poetry. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,874,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible