The Similars by Rebecca Hanover

The Similars (edition 2019)

by Rebecca Hanover (Author)

"When six clones join Emmaline's prestigious boarding school, she must confront the heartbreak of seeing her dead best friend's face each day in class"--
Member:emilyelle
Title:The Similars
Authors:Rebecca Hanover (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2019), 400 pages

The Similars by Rebecca Hanover

I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review. This was a gripping, engaging YA read with a sci-fi/futuristic edge - in many ways it reminded me of the Uglies/Pretties/Specials series as teens grapple with how their outward appearance influences their ability to fit smoothly into society.

I'm very much looking forward to the next book in the series and can't believe this was Hanover's first book! Great little twist at the end too (although some readers may predict it). ( )
  emilyelle | Dec 3, 2019 |
The story offers an interesting premise but never becomes an interesting story. Characterization is very weak and the pacing is inconsistent. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 20, 2019 |
Ms. Hanover’s debut novel about clones is, simply put, fantastic. The Similars is everything I love about reading. The story is engaging; I could not stop reading it everything I predicted ending up not coming true. The characters may be archetypes, but I still felt a full range of emotions over Emma’s struggles. I loved the friction caused by the clones, and I appreciate that the students did not wholeheartedly accept them. It is an element of the story that feels accurate, especially given the ethics surrounding cloning that scientists continue to debate. Nothing about the story felt contrived or as if it was checking the boxes. The Similars is fresh and exciting with an ending that will blow your mind. I can’t wait for the sequel!
  jmchshannon | Mar 26, 2019 |
I kept eyeing The Similars since it's promo's first came out. The synopsis had me hooked and once I started reading this book, it captivated me till the very last page. It's full of mystery, thrilller, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, action and adventure, politics, cloning, friendship and so. much. more!

What did I enjoy the most about this book? The way Ms. Hanover wove a tale of mystery, romance and drama while building the tension in a well written tale till it just explodes in the last few chapters. I truly was on the edge of my seat and couldn't put this book down.

I really enjoyed The Similars and I can't wait to read the next release in this series!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Ms. Hanover, Source Books and and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Jan 4, 2019 |
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher/author for an advanced copy in exchange for review.
My reaction when reaching the last page? What the actual FUCK?!? I then ran to be sure there would, indeed, be future books. I need to know what happens to the Similars... all of them.

*TRIGGER WARNING* Suicide: the book starts with the line "I don't actively want to die. Not all the time." And the first few pages focus on suicide, but it's not graphic or throughout the book.

Emma is a smart, talented, kind girl who has had a rough summer. She is not a super special snowflake (which is refreshing). She goes to school with a lot of other smart, talented kids. This year, six new students are attending. They are pretty special. They are clones, who prefer to be called Similars. One has the face of her best friend, who died over the summer. Then, things really get interesting.

This book was... so freaking awesome! It took me some time to get through it, but it was not the fault of the book. Holidays and some personal issues kept me from being able to properly concentrate on it. I finally made myself sit and finish it, and I'm so glad I did. I went in expecting a Science Fiction novel and what I got was a mystery with SciFi elements. It's full of twists that had me second guessing everything I thought I knew from previous chapters. I had sneaking suspicions for some things that turned out to be true (at least partially) and others I was dead wrong about.

The characters are interesting. The MC is not annoying, or stupid, or selfish (ok, a little selfish, but so is every other 16 year old). I wish we could have gotten to know all the Similars as well as we get to know Levi, Maude, and Pippa, but the ones we really get to know are well written and you kind of feel for them. There are quite a few political points in the book that can easily be related to most civil rights movements currently, or in recent history. The politics are important, but not the main focus. Over all, it was a book I didn't know I needed. I honestly cannot wait for the rest of the series. ( )
  TinaTome | Jan 1, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,723,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible