Area 51: The Mission (1999)

by Robert Doherty

Series: Area 51 (3)

Now we know what the government hid there.  It's time we found out why....Hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest is a place shrouded in mystery.  It is called The Mission.  And in nearby villages people are screaming in pain as they die from a virus more deadly than Ebola.  They can't escape it.  They can't cure it.  They can't stop it from exploding into a worldwide epidemic poised to kill us all....Scientist Lisa Duncan and Special Forces officer Mike Turcotte suspect this new "Black Death" is actually a biological weapon in an escalating war between us...and "them." Them? The aliens who are part of a chilling conspiracy connected to ancient riddles, a government agency...and Area 51.  Now from the Great Wall of China to a top secret facility beneath Antarctica's ice cap, an eclectic group of soldiers and scholars are working with Duncan and Turcotte to give humankind one last shimmering hope to survive.  To stop the aliens--at least until the Pandora's box of Area 51 opens up again....… (more)

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
I really enjoyed the first two in the series but this one was a bit of a mess. Far too many characters and substories going on and not much to keep you interested in most of them. Nothing is wrapped up....editors must be demanding another book without much substance. The pandemic theme makes this pretty grim reading. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 28, 2019 |
It is possible for an extended series to have a stumble book or two early on. I feel this book is that first stumble. Yes, we continue to follow the same characters from the first two books. However, this book starts to expand the cast too much. This book is like a filler episode in your favorite TV show. It adds a story line, gives some information, but doesn't advance the overall plot. The action of the first two books is lacking in this book. I read it, will probably reread it, but it doesn't hold the Must Read Again status. ( )
  gilroy | Mar 22, 2009 |

Robert Dohertyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mayer, BobAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To my father,
George Mayer,
for helping make a dream come true
A golden tendril was stretched out from the guardian computer under the surface of Mars and wrapped around the head of the Airlia who had awakened the first echelon and sent them off in their talon ships toward Earth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,524,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible