Nine Perfect Strangers (2018)

by Liane Moriarty

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER "If three characters were good inBig Little Lies, nine are even better inNine Perfect Strangers." --Lisa Scottoline,The New York Times Book Review From the #1New York Times bestselling author ofBig Little Lies Could ten days at a health resort really change you forever? In Liane Moriarty's latest page-turner, nine perfect strangers are about to find out... Nine people gather at a remote health resort. Some are here to lose weight, some are here to get a reboot on life, some are here for reasons they can't even admit to themselves. Amidst all of the luxury and pampering, the mindfulness and meditation, they know these ten days might involve some real work. But none of them could imagine just how challenging the next ten days are going to be. Frances Welty, the formerly best-selling romantic novelist, arrives at Tranquillum House nursing a bad back, a broken heart, and an exquisitely painful paper cut. She's immediately intrigued by her fellow guests. Most of them don't look to be in need of a health resort at all. But the person that intrigues her most is the strange and charismatic owner/director of Tranquillum House. Could this person really have the answers Frances didn't even know she was seeking? Should Frances put aside her doubts and immerse herself in everything Tranquillum House has to offer - or should she run while she still can? It's not long before every guest at Tranquillum House is asking exactly the same question. Combining all of the hallmarks that have made her writing a go-to for anyone looking for wickedly smart, page-turning fiction that will make you laugh and gasp, Liane Moriarty'sNine Perfect Strangers once again shows why she is a master of her craft.… (more)
    The Last Cruise: A Novel by Kate Christensen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An eclectic assortment of complex characters are thrown together in these darkly humorous novels. In both, luxury vacations turn out to be anything but.
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These witty mainstream novels feature ensemble casts of strangers thrown together, but under very different circumstances. Both books are darkly humorous and feature distinct, fully realized characters whose backstories are slowly teased out, revealing piles of emotional baggage.… (more)

Tranquillam house is a place where the wealthy go to be transformed. Ran by Mahsa Dmitrichenko, Tranquillam is meant to be a new-age retreat with unusual methods to get results. Masha is aided by her trusted health consultants Yao and Delilah. She has big plans for this next set of nine strangers about to enter her home, she's planning to unleash her new protocol upon unsuspecting guests, Frances Welty, Zoe Marconi, Heather Marconi, Napoleon Marconi, Carmel Schneider, Lars Lee, Jessica Chandler, Ben Chandler, and Tony Hogburn.

I loved how this book followed each character in the first person. Each chapter was from the point of view of one of the characters. I did find myself wondering if Frances the writer had any ties to Liane Moriarty as she was the more prominent voice. Frances was by far my favorite voice, whether it be because she had more page time, or just because she was the comedic relief, I am not sure. I just seemed to enjoy her chapters and journey so much more. I did feel that the other characters lacked development, they were not quite as shaped as Frances. I first read this via audiobook in 2020 and really enjoyed the narration. I decided to reread the eBook after watching the Hulu rendition of it, to refresh my memory and compare the differences. I recommend it if you don’t mind each chapter from a different perspective, and if you are content with many of the chapters not having much action. This really is just a book about people and their inner thoughts. Many mark this as a thriller, and I suppose in a way it could be a psychological thriller, but not in the typical sense of the genre. ( )
  BuffyCharp | Aug 28, 2022 |
Really a 3,5⭐, but the last chapters made me round it up ( )
  helloitsrafaela | Aug 22, 2022 |
I love Liane Moriarty's books, and I liked this one as well - on the whole.

Nine strangers all sign up for a 10-day cleanse at a health spa. We learn about their back stories, why they came, a bit of interaction between all of them. We also learn about the founder of the health spa, and her staff.

The book is classic Moriarty, the plot driven by interactions between the characters and exactly what I love about her books.

But then! About 2/3s of the way through the book the author takes an extended coffee break or a vacation or is kidnapped or something. And one of the characters hijacks the book and drives it right off a cliff. That is the only way I can describe what happens. The other characters complain at length, but they should really be directing their complaints to the author who allowed this to happen to them.

The author wrestles control back from the crazy character, and the book ends about the way you might expect.

Overall I really enjoyed reading, but the crazy interlude felt like an experiment. And in fact, the crazy character was pursuing an experiment also, so some symmetry there. ( )
  sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
Not my favorite of her books. I was really looking forward to this one but I just couldn't get into it as much as I have others of hers. There were so many characters that the character development of some was rather lacking in my opinion. (Of course it would have made for an extremely long book if there had been more) I did like how she tried to wrap up the story at the end with what happened to the characters afterwards but what she did reveal was a bit predictable, while other characters epilogues were vague at best. Not her best work IMHO. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Maybe a little too long in parts, but somehow even with 11ish mainish characters I cared about all of them! A great holiday read. ( )
  Amzzz | Jul 16, 2022 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,924,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible