Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Nine Perfect Strangers (2018)

by Liane Moriarty

The Last Cruise: A Novel by Kate Christensen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An eclectic assortment of complex characters are thrown together in these darkly humorous novels. In both, luxury vacations turn out to be anything but.
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These witty mainstream novels feature ensemble casts of strangers thrown together, but under very different circumstances. Both books are darkly humorous and feature distinct, fully realized characters whose backstories are slowly teased out, revealing piles of emotional baggage.… (more)

Audiobook performed by Caroline Lee
2.5***

Adapted from the book jacket: Nine people gather at a remote health resort, expecting luxury, pampering, and meditation. But none can imagine how challenging the next ten days will be. As guests arrive they are struck by the strange and charismatic owner/director. Should they surrender to the process – or run while they still can?

My reactions:
It’s certainly not Morality’s best work, in my humble opinion.

On the one hand I really enjoyed some of these guests’ stories: a romance writer who fell prey to an internet dating scam, a family trying to heal from one member’s suicide, a divorced woman obsessed with body image, a gay attorney struggling with the decision to become a parent, a young couple whose lives change when they won the lottery, and a former footballer and now divorced grandfather. Like the guests, I was initially mesmerized by the story of Masha, the owner/director of Tranquillum House.

On the other hand, I didn’t really like any of these characters, and was completely irritated by Masha’s psychobabble new-age philosophy on fixing what was wrong with them. I also didn’t like the ending, with its fast-forward to weeks or years later in order to catch up on what happened.

Caroline Lee does a fine job performing the audio version, however. She sets a good pace and is up to the task of voicing a wide range of characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 21, 2019 |
This is the first Liane Moriarty book that I've read that doesn't start in reverse--something happens right at the beginning, then the rest of the book is a slow unfolding to reveal what that "something" was that happened at the beginning.

This book also had so many perspectives...at least 11, and while I enjoyed them all, I didn't get that sense of suspense that I usually get in Moriarty's books because the action was happening in linear order. Sure, every character had backstories, but there were so many of them I didn't get as invested as I did in books like Big Little Lies.

Overall, an enjoyable quick read, but not as I've-got-to-drop-everything-and-finish-this as some of her other books. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Nine Perfect Strangers begins slowly, then the pace accelerates, until halfway into the book when the tempo stales. Moriarty creates interesting characters with real problems. The reader learns about drugs, wealth, sports, divorce, suicide, death, life, and many more topics, probably too many topics for one book. Moriarty hits the nail on the head with her character studies of the nine strangers and the supporting cast. Yes, the epilogue of what happens to each character gives closure but overextends a lengthy book. My feeling for the book jumped from enjoyment to dread. ( )
  delphimo | Mar 13, 2019 |
Painfully long ( )
  sasp424 | Mar 6, 2019 |
This book is about a disparate group of people whio meet at a health spa. Each character is finely drawn with his or her own history, problems, and dreams. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  DrApple | Mar 4, 2019 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible