dismiss

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Nine Perfect Strangers (2018)

by Liane Moriarty

Could ten days at a health resort really change you forever? These nine perfect strangers are about to find out.
    The Last Cruise: A Novel by Kate Christensen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An eclectic assortment of complex characters are thrown together in these darkly humorous novels. In both, luxury vacations turn out to be anything but.
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These witty mainstream novels feature ensemble casts of strangers thrown together, but under very different circumstances. Both books are darkly humorous and feature distinct, fully realized characters whose backstories are slowly teased out, revealing piles of emotional baggage.… (more)

The characters were so well-rounded out - I feel like I know each and every one of them. ( )
  jzibart | May 27, 2020 |
4* ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
When I first came across this book, I passed over it because I thought it would be about 9 terminally ill people (not sure where I got that from) going to a health resort and having a "coming to God" moment. Then I read Big Little Lies by the same author and knew that I had to come back to this one because Liane Moriarty is witty so I knew these 9 characters would be good.

I listened to the audio version and it felt like I was listening to it for a long time, which at the end I realized it was 16 hours long so that made sense. Still, it was a good story and Liane did an excellent job of weaving together these characters lives. ( )
  mplantenga11 | Apr 8, 2020 |
My first Libby book - I read it on my android phone (the screen is a bit small) and my iPad (the screen is a bit big. Borrowing and returning were painless, and the app "synced" on the two devices. But you are at the mercy of the battery life of your devices and my iPad is not good. I may have to buy a smaller one just for ebooks, but then I can get the books free as against buying them for my Kindle.

Nine strangers embark on a retreat at Tranquillam House, in the Australian countryside, about 2 hours from Sydney.

In the first half of the book we learn why the various individuals are there and what they hope to get out of the 10 day retreat. We learn also about the people who are running the business.
All seems to be going well until we learn that Masha, who is the CEO of the retreat has been lacing their smoothies with LSD and ecstasy and then it appears that she is just a little mad and even dangerous. ( )
  smik | Mar 28, 2020 |
While the book got off to a slow start, the ending raced. The twisted events in Nine Perfect Strangers were shocking and unexpected. I started to put the book aside when I was about a third of the way through, but I’m glad I didn’t. ( )
  bagejew | Mar 26, 2020 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,627,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible