Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Nine Perfect Strangers (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Member:pharrm
Title:Nine Perfect Strangers
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 464 pages
Rating:***

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty (2018)

This Liane Moriarity book is so over the top and outrageous but you can't put it down. Even though the plot got more and more ridiculous as the story progressed, I LOVED the characters. Nine people decide that they are stressed and need a lifestyle change, so they sign up for a ten day cleanse at Tranquility House. It's a gorgeous estate in the middle of nowhere and participants will be treated to divine meals, massages, nature hikes, star-gazing, and meditation. The nine participants (all strangers) soon discover that there was a lot on the agenda that they most certainly had not signed up for. Silence, daily blood tests, fasting, and more unorthodox methods keep popping up. Soon the strangers kind of bond together as they try to get through their weird cleanse in one piece. There is a romance author who will soon be out of work, an ex football player, a family trying to cope with loss, a mom trying to rediscover herself after her husband took off with a new trophy wife, a young couple in dire need of counseling, and a devilishly handsome gay lawyer. Full of fun, a nice beach read. ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 11, 2018 |
I normally don't like group novels, but Laine Moriarty does it so well, giving unique, strong personalities to characters, and having just the right touch of social issue, and tongue in cheek humor, poking fun at foibles, be they personal or societal. A fun read, though I might think twice about going to a health spa! ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 2, 2018 |
Nine strangers gather for a weekend wellness retreat. Obviously Moriarty took her inspiration from my favorite Agatha Christie novel And Then There Were None. What could go wrong in a place with a staircase that looks like the one from the Titanic? It turns out plenty as the strangers fall under the spell of the strange and increasingly unraveling Masha. All of the characters have backstory, some of it serious and some of it silly. It takes awhile to get into the meat of the story and at times I wasn't sure if I even cared. I pressed on and finally reached the nutty conclusion. I don't think it is Moriarty's strongest work but it did elicit a chuckle or two. ( )
  arielfl | Nov 30, 2018 |
Not for me. I was disappointed as I’ve LOVED everything else Moriarty has written, but this one was just too hard to believe. The characters were interesting but it took so long to get into why they were here, I lost interest half way through this book. ( )
  cgrizwold | Nov 28, 2018 |
This was a fun read and I’m tempted to give it four stars because it was exactly what I wanted and needed to read this week: clever, humorous, entertaining and light. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible