Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Nine Perfect Strangers (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Could ten days at a health resort really change you forever? These nine perfect strangers are about to find out.
Member:Tania57
Title:Nine Perfect Strangers
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), Edition: First Edition, 464 pages

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty (2018)

The Last Cruise: A Novel by Kate Christensen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An eclectic assortment of complex characters are thrown together in these darkly humorous novels. In both, luxury vacations turn out to be anything but.
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These witty mainstream novels feature ensemble casts of strangers thrown together, but under very different circumstances. Both books are darkly humorous and feature distinct, fully realized characters whose backstories are slowly teased out, revealing piles of emotional baggage.… (more)

Liane Moriarty really writes characters well. Even though there were nine guests in this story and three workers at the retreat they attended, it was easy to quickly know who was who...and I felt I came to know these people.

Well written, imaginative story. Masha wants her guests to have a transformative experience at her spa, and her ways of achieving that are unorthodox. By the time the guests are aware of what is really happening, it may be too late for them to escape. Lots of tension and suspense....some humour....great characters. Another winner from this author! ( )
  LynnB | Oct 13, 2021 |
I really like this author. This book was good...different. Odd. Interesting. ( )
  avdesertgirl | Aug 22, 2021 |
This novel bends genres. It's hard to even say what genre it is! To me, it seemed like a self-help novel but with a fantastic plot. This seeming lack of genre might be a negative in that a lot of people won't like it. Usually, people read books that fit into a genre of which they know the structure. That could make people dislike this novel. It's hard to even say what genre it is, but I think that's the case, too, with Big Little Lies!

I am amazed with how well Liane writes characters. The characters in this novel are believable. It's really easy to see how anyone can be a candidate for a health retreat because the characters aren't the usual people you'd expect to see at a health retreat. I also love that it's multi-character pov. That aids in staying focused with the plot and story, the subplots, the length.

This novel is unpredictable. Don't expect anything because any assumptions you might have are most likely wrong. And any assumptions about structure and plot, that'll be way off, too. So if you're into that, definitely read it. ( )
  chartreuse245 | Aug 19, 2021 |
Not my favorite Liane Moriarty novel. In fact, it might be my least favorite. ( )
  AngelClaw | Aug 19, 2021 |
This Liane Moriarity book is so over the top and outrageous but you can't put it down. Even though the plot got more and more ridiculous as the story progressed, I LOVED the characters. Nine people decide that they are stressed and need a lifestyle change, so they sign up for a ten day cleanse at Tranquility House. It's a gorgeous estate in the middle of nowhere and participants will be treated to divine meals, massages, nature hikes, star-gazing, and meditation. The nine participants (all strangers) soon discover that there was a lot on the agenda that they most certainly had not signed up for. Silence, daily blood tests, fasting, and more unorthodox methods keep popping up. Soon the strangers kind of bond together as they try to get through their weird cleanse in one piece. There is a romance author who will soon be out of work, an ex football player, a family trying to cope with loss, a mom trying to rediscover herself after her husband took off with a new trophy wife, a young couple in dire need of counseling, and a devilishly handsome gay lawyer. Full of fun, a nice beach read. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 29, 2021 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,186,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible